Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Auto tracking or auto gb?...

gsmith

I'm finding it hard to like the ground tracking....seems like I always forget to shut it off when I get a potential target....so asking you more experienced xterra users, should I force myself to like it or do you prefer just doing the auto or manual gb and then just check it once in awhile?....oh and on a side note ( sorry wife has camera down in Oklahoma visiting daughter and granddaughter ) I'm starting to be a big believer in this thing...I found a 1917 merc in a area I've personally been pounding to death since last summer with a at pro and f75ltd and it was in a marked off area I'd hit many many times with both before...I was a little concerned that at first I wasn't getting very good depth, but all I've got now is the standard coil...got a 10.5" mf DD coming hopefully early next week, but the more I use it and the more use I get to the sounds I'm slowly gaining some depth..
Greg

Not saying it's the best, but I always do the auto. ground balance.

I use auto ground balance and auto tracking. Have checked the ground balance what the machine automatically does vs a manual ground balance and the auto is always spot on.

I would think that the only reason to shut off the Auto Tracking when over a target is if you are gold nugget hunting and not wanting to track a real small nugget out when pinpointing. On coin size targets I never heard of this being a problem.

Tracking is like having Auto GB on the fly. In other words, Auto GB sets your machine for one particular spot. Tracking maintains the "optimized" ground balance as you move throughout the site. Tracking is good for those sites where the ground mineralization levels fluctuate. The only caution I would offer to those using Tracking is to not X over the target repeatedly, as the detector might actually consider that target part of the ground matrix. I don't know how many times would be too many. I'd suggest you could find that out by placing a target on the ground and Xing over it until it "disappeared". I would think that fewer than 5 or 6 times would not cause the target to null out. But for those who don't use Pinpoint, chosing instead to X over the target in their hunt mode, it is something to consider. JMHO HH Randy

I use both and love it.

Ahhh...thanks for the post...after reading Randys book again and the manual I see where I was messing up...I was under the impression using the pinpoint I needed to turn it off...but actually when using the pinpoint the auto trac shuts off.....( sometimes I'm not very bright :rolleyes: )

Here is what happened to me today. I got to my new old house, set up and did the auto GB. After batteries died about 3 1/2 hours I realized I had forgotten to NC when I got the SE out and did the NC on that, oops. Now I am going to have to recover all the ground I already hunted. Anyhow, so off I go beeping away GB every 20 to 30 feet. About an hour and a half in I turned on Ground Tracking and my GB went from 6 to 10 all the way up to 15 to 23. My IDs became more solid and I think I was hitting a little deeper. Now what I did was to run in Ground Tracking just long enough to check current settings, then turn it off.

My point is this, the ground was very difficult to find a clean enough spot to get an accurate GB. I had turned the Sens down and was running in a wide open pattern (only 48 disced out). I was in what I thought was a clean spot. The end result was that I was still GBing to trash and iron. Turn Tracking on and bingo, picked up an accurate GB reading off I go. I have been trying to turn of the Tracking to make sure I am not Balancing out deeper coins.

I think I am seeing differences in running Ground Tracking in iron and running it in trash. To much trash and I think I am lowering my numbers and my depth by keeping it on. However, in iron I believe I get better results with Ground Tracking on. What I am doing in trash is running it until I get the highest consistant numbers then shut it off. In heavy iron trash I leave it on. In light trash I leave it on.

I hardly ever use PP.

Jeff