Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Automobile GPS units

Mr.Bill

Looking for a little advice/information ???

For years I have been using lap top with Delorme Street Atlas, and GPS receiver in my automobile. The unit has worked exceptionally well for what it was designed for. With the lap top the viewing area is quite large, and there

n/t

Been looking at a Garmin 2610/20, and a Lowrance iWay automobile unit. The Garmin 26xx series appears to be the one used as a standard of comparison.

I have a liking for the Lowrance but I read somewhere it has a routing bug in the software, and Lowrance hadn

Modern auto navigation systems are nothing like the yesteryears ones.
I have no experience with the ones that mount in the instrument panel but have a bit with the portable ones that mount on the dashboard.
New, high resolution colour screens performing very well even in direct sunlight. Well, there is always a time that the sun may hit the screen in just the right way (read wrong way) and make viewing difficult but that is relatively easy to deal with by installing a small hood or just slightly turning the unit.
The operation is easy and much less distracting than a laptop. Even viewing is much easier since the units can be mounted almost in the line of sight. Yes, the screens are smaller than an average laptop but the information / maps displayed are optimized for these screens. I would never, ever go back to trying to navigate in the car using a laptop.
Which unit is the best? Well, most of my car nav. experience is with Garmin units. They are excellent but, my brief experiences with Lowrance and Magellan car nav. units indicates to me that they are all on a level.

Thanks Andrew

I should have been a little more descriptive as I meant to mount on the dash.

I'm thinking strongly toward the Garmin 2610/20 series. Even though I'm use to a large screen, and certainly the Garmin is small, one has to look at the foot print it's going to take up on the dash. The Garmin has a proven track record.

The Lowrance is big, 5" dia., and the software bug has me concerned.

Have a nice day

Mr. Bill

It should arrive today. I'll post my thoughts on it when I get a chance to play with it.

Mr. Bill