Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

AutoTune vs ID mode

A

Anonymous

Well, I am starting to wonder if I shoouldn't send my cz5 machine in for a fix.
No matter what I have tried there is no way that I can get autotune to be hotter than id mode. I can't turn up my sensitivity till I hear a hum. Not that I am complaining , I can nail a silver quarter at 10 inches in ID mode without batting an eye. That same quarter will be silent in autotune, no matter what.
Is this normal? The book says that autotune is the hottest mode.

You should be able to hear the quarter in auto tune, same at ID. But I have never seen much difference in the auto tune being hotter, I know they say it is, but mine never seemed to be, if it is, it is so little, that it don't show much.

It will not even pinpoint at depth, ID mode only. I was hoping to use auto tone on the beach, so I could cover more area faster without sacrificing depth, I am not so sure.
Thanks for your response, very much appreciated.

I understand that Autotune may not get anymore depth but the search pattern of the coil is larger. Try to hit a target on the edge in both modes and see if that is true.

by doing that you either have to dig all that iron or keep switching back and forth to check each target in the i.d. mode.

I know what you mean, BUT, there is always a but, I have read that many old timers and some not-so-old-timers can do real magic with all metal mode. Norman taught us about target profiling and the benefits of that extra inch or two. On the beach it may be the difference between easily digging up a thin gold ring with a rock in it or missing it completely. Just to have some person come by with his old BFO machine and smile in your wake.....
I figure that the option is there and you might as well try to learn it. I just couldn't get it to work like the manual said it would. If the pattern is wider it should also be deeper even if just by a smidgen. I cannot get my machine to operate as advertised in the manual.
This leaves me in a quandry, do I send it in to get fixed and maybe loose some of the amazing ID depth that my unit seems to have? If I can get it fixed and only make it better I am all for it. I really like this CZ5 and can hardly wait until I am proficient with it.
Thanks for all of the chatter on this thread.
Take care and God bless all.

I have a CZ3D and I was doing some testing with it on a salt water beach here in NJ, testing it against a Sov to see which would hit gold rings deeper.
I found that in both dry and wet sand the 3D will hit a gold ring deeper in autotune, not by much, but by about 2". That is on the unit I have, it seems some of them differ.
I also found that the 3D in the ID mode (nothing disced out)will ID a gold ring as iron at its detection fringe, that is, at the point just before it cant be detected at all.
Neil

I use a cz70Pro and my book says the same thing.
Hot auto tune mode.
As long as I have auto tune set with a treshold sound I get much more depth then id mode.
If I don't use the treshold sound then the depth of both are very similar. But the auto tune is never less then the id mode in depth.
HH
Dan R.

I will just limp along for this season and send it in to a repair depot next winter. There is something not right yet ok in ID mode.

..........that you get on the phone with a technician at Fisher and discuss the problem with him ASAP.
Chet