Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Back after years down & out - have to learn/re-learn

tab-nabit

Been years since I been detecting - now recovering from surgery/medical blah blah blah I think I can ease back into detecting.
Not back in well shape but enough I can do a little detecting - ease into it.
Had to have Findmall help me (Thank You Findmall) as I couldn't remember my previous email etc.
So to ease back in I'll have to go light meaning start out with my Compadre. Also not a lot of digging or I'll be hurting, so short detecting until I get in better shape.
So I feel like I need to kind on re-learn metal detecting and the Compadre will be easiest all around.
I thought I was done for good (wife thought I didn't survive surgery once) and now getting the itch and get back into detecting so here I am trying to catch up what's out there & poking back into Findmall I fell behind on what's going on.
I held on to the Compadre (just couldn't let it go), Tesoro Silver & Cortez plus still have the Fischer F-75 and Whites Vision Spectra with the i embedded software upgrade. Wish I kept some others I had.
Kind of a shocker seeing the new detectors on the market and Tesoro & Whites are no more!
So I'll poke around in Findmall & hope to poke my Lesche digger in the dirt soon as much as my condition allow - glad I didn't give all my detectors away.
Now I want to buy a new detector but best to use what I have then maybe later down the road I'll think about in.
Enjoying the years of thread's I missed as they will inspire and help me get back in the game.

Been years since I been detecting - now recovering from surgery/medical blah blah blah I think I can ease back into detecting.
Not back in well shape but enough I can do a little detecting - ease into it.
Had to have Findmall help me (Thank You Findmall) as I couldn't remember my previous email etc.
So to ease back in I'll have to go light meaning start out with my Compadre. Also not a lot of digging or I'll be hurting, so short detecting until I get in better shape.
So I feel like I need to kind on re-learn metal detecting and the Compadre will be easiest all around.
I thought I was done for good (wife thought I didn't survive surgery once) and now getting the itch and get back into detecting so here I am trying to catch up what's out there & poking back into Findmall I fell behind on what's going on.
I held on to the Compadre (just couldn't let it go), Tesoro Silver & Cortez plus still have the Fischer F-75 and Whites Vision Spectra with the i embedded software upgrade. Wish I kept some others I had.
Kind of a shocker seeing the new detectors on the market and Tesoro & Whites are no more!
So I'll poke around in Findmall & hope to poke my Lesche digger in the dirt soon as much as my condition allow - glad I didn't give all my detectors away.
Now I want to buy a new detector but best to use what I have then maybe later down the road I'll think about in.
Enjoying the years of thread's I missed as they will inspire and help me get back in the game.

Welcome back!! Awesome username by the way!!

I suspect the Compadre will keep you busy for a little bit! That older stuff still gets the job done just as well as the newer. Look forward to seeing your posts in "Todays Finds"!

Tab-Nabit, first Welcome back to the forum and to Metal Detecting as a whole. Whatever type of surgery you had, we wish you a full and complete recovery. As you said, Ease back into it, and don't overdo, or undo what your surgery has repaired. I too, look forward to seeing some nice finds and saves by you. Best of luck to you and we look forward to seeing your posts. By the way, you Did Good to hold on to your Tesoro. They are great detectors.

GA1dad & Confetrit - Thanks for the welcome...
My thoughts are to ease back with the lightest which is the Compadre w/5.75 coil and start out maybe a tot lot or two then try to get on the knees then a plug or so later. Can't do much but it's a start. I've spent a couple walks around the backyard to swing the detector - still have coins buried and of course tabs, nails, foil etc.
Now the wife just had another surgery just a couple days before x-mas and now needs to get some healing walking in so I and she needs it and can't think of a better way than me detecting a little and she can walk around nearby with the doggie. Maybe we all can get out and get a little exercise this way and see how far this goes - I miss detecting is my excuse.
Yeah I was "tab-nabit" back in the day because most times I couldn't pass up tabs knowing sometimes the tab targets pays off being something else better than a tab.
Couple times gone out with a dealer who sells and teach detecting and I went behind him and pulled out goods he missed so I like work work slow and clean up.

I'll start out easy so I can at least get us out and make the itch feel better I hope - well I don't even remember how to use the V3i but I do know the little Compadre beep & dig does work and just audio (always headphones) works fine for me.

Not back in shape, bit beat & tore up, old & crunchy, a big slug of coffee with the itchy should get me a couple tabs and maybe a goodie or two.........

Thanks again all and hope today I can get on the knees and back up on my feet a few times if I can talk the wife on going - I'll tell her I want to go but might need a hand getting back up which is true...... More coffee and get the mind & body going, 10-4 Roger Duck fresh battery ready for the Compadre.

Well got out for a very short swing - just off a parking lot (closed AF base) with the Compadre.
A clad dime, then a nickel, then a zinc with a rusty nail. The nail didn't keep me from getting the zinc. They we're together.
Very short time (legs and ankles feel it) but a 2024 start anyway.
Kind of disappointed I didn't pull up a tab - but I knew I couldn't get down and back up much so I listened for what I thought would be worth digging just to hit a couple targets. Now that I rubbed the itch a little I'm already feeling more itch now that I'm back home. It's cold (to me) and supposed to be raining & windy tomorrow so guess I'll cruze the net focusing on detectors and detecting.
Wish I could remember what the poker (brass rod w/porcelain ball) is called. Used my short one today and yay my pinpointer still works.

Attachments

• 12 Jan detecting.jpg
    12 Jan detecting.jpg
    630 KB · Views: 29
Thanks Picketwire I think I may get a couple of them.
I'm down to 2 with the porcelain ball. My other one is 4 or so inches longer.
I had another but dropped it on the pavement and the porcelain shattered and I didn't find all the pieces to epoxy it back together.
I used these when I was detecting on a well-groomed lawn - would work the tip down to locate the target and the ball helped provide what the tip was hitting. Back it up a bit, re-work it around, is that a rock or coin or? (flat round coin feel) plus depth indication. I also have some really long hemostats then chase it down to my target and pluck it up & out. Surgical digging without cutting a plug and leave no trace on the lawn. The ball being solid and fits the palm well helps to transmit vibration for a feel on what the target is.
I did at one time get one but it had a plastic & rubber screwdriver handle and it just wasn't the same.
Appreciate the link and I think although wood ball, will fit the palm the same and wood should transmit vibration fine.
Even if in a park I sometimes will use it just for target confirmation so I can right to it.
Thanks again!

Get ya one of those Predator shovels.Curved blade. Makes a clean hole. Paystreak Superfreak makes the best holes. Can't tell he was there.