Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Back-to-Back Dime Trifectas! 11 Silver, 45 Wheats!; Old Dental Bridge, '09S Wheat, Vintage Safety Pin

captn_se

Hello My Friends!

This week, I had a couple of good turf hunts with some of my buddies. On Monday, I met up with Mike(ratman), Leo(fooleo), and his friends Brad and Steve for another pillaging at the famous Barrio park. Last Thursday, I managed to find a dime trifecta there, and on Monday, I was able to repeat the feat. I ended my hunt with a 1900 Barber dime, 2 Mercs, and a Rosie, along with 27 wheaties (one wheat being a 1909 S), and an 1881 Indian Head. Actually, the hardest coin to find that day was the Rosie....I should have ended my hunt hours earlier, but I kept detecting with my buddies until it nearly got dark, and found the Rosie just before dusk. Man, was I tired!! :wacko: I think I won't be back to the Barrio until we get more rain...the ground is just too hard to dig, causing full body achiness! It was a long, fun hunt!!

On Tuesday, I had the opportunity to detect the small front yard of an old home(100 yrs old), and ended up finding 4 wheaties, an old copper hair clip, and my most interesting item, which looks to be a piece of an old silver dental bridge. It was found around 7" in the front yard, and sounded similar to an Indian head penny (zinc signal).

On Wednesday, I met up with Chris(cmtoys) and Bart(Brocifus) at a heavily detected park that has produced well for me in the past. After helping Bart set up his Explorer, I managed to make my first silver find, a partially masked Rosie at around 7". Shortly after that, I found another Rosie in the dirt underneath an old oak tree. My third older find was the Chinese sterling ring. It was a very deep find, and was being masked by shallower clad(a nickel and a dime), which I dug before I recovered the ring. (See below for info I found on this ring..very cool!!) After I recovered my first wheaties, I got another good sounding, deeper target. I was surprised to see a gold color in my plug, and saw that it was an old pin, which was gold plated over sterling. I'm sure many of you remember the old Mobil Oil "Pegasus" horse insignia. General Petroleum Corp. of California would eventually become Mobil Oil. The pin is in great condition. A cool find indeed! ;) On the last hour of my hunt, I ended up finding another Rosie, Merc, and 6 wheats for a 6 silver, 14 wheatie day.

All in all, a very fun week of detecting some of my pillaged parks, in addition to a short Victorian home hunt.

Info on the Chinese ring...
This metal ring is a version of the Chinese Good Luck Ring sold by King, Sovereign, De Laurence and others throughout the 1930s and 40s. You can see the ad copy from King here. The De Laurence catalog of 1931 devotes an entire page to this ring, calling it, with typical De Laurence hyperbole, the "Most Remarkable Selling Article In The History Of Jewelry Making". The ad goes on to tell how the Broadway stars of "Tangerine", Julia Sanderson and Frank Crumit, as well as Cecil Lean and Miss Cleo Mayfield of "The Blushing Bride" use this ring to pack the theaters and even avoid the flu. Not to mention its use by Fanny Brice, Walker Whiteside and even Al Jolson! Yes, Good Luck, Health, Happiness, Prosperity and Long Life are all provided according to De Laurence. One testimonial even describes how wearing the ring gives the wearer their very own "Chinese Spirit or Oriental Guide."

"The old catalog I found on the Net is a page from a 1930's King Curio Catalog" (It's pretty hilarious :heh:)

Thanks for looking!
Keep The Passion High!! :thumbup:

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Great job on all the finds I love that badge and ring to, nice bunch of silver WTG DAN on that 1909's Wheaties $$$$$$ whats it worth ?

Those are some great finds. After seeing the picture of the chinese good luck ring I now know what I found in an old church yard. Or at least I think it is. Thanks Dan.

Excellent hunt Dan and congratulations on your back-to-back dime trifecta.:thumbup:
You are always finding some interesting things to share....thanks
Gold Nuggets :wiggle:

n/t

Congratulations on all the good finds Dan!!! Thanks for sharing the story and the pictures too!

NebTrac

n/t