Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Back To The Woods...

A

Anonymous

Spent a couple hours hunting from favorite patch of well-hunted tick-infested woods yesterday. The good news: The ticks are all gone...a couple of nights in the mid-30's did them in. The bad news: It's still well-hunted! But I did manage to scarf a decent Indian and a couple of CW bullets...58 caliber miniball and musketball...so not quite hunted OUT yet.
I was using my CZ-70 with the 8" coil. The last few outings there last winter were with the CZ with the 10.5" coil and also with my Sovereign Elite. I've never not found anything there, but they are getting slim now at this point. Items found there in the past: Early 1900's wheaties and indians, Barber dime, Standing Libery quarter, a few more bullets. I'm sure I'll hit it again another time or two.

Many neglect the woods, but do remember what is now woods 100 yrs ago may have been a campground, meeting place or for that matter part of a fairgrounds. Seems like most of the fellows go for the grass and open areas. Last year while hunting the open areas of an old amusement park struck out and hit the adjoining woods. Came out with 8 silver coins one a 1915 Barber quarter like new. Go where other coils have not as they may produce well...

Indeed, around here, the woods are not to be overlooked. Being as how the Union Army occupied the woods and fields around Suffolk Virginia for about 2 1/2 years, there have been scads of bullets and buttons found out there. Coins too. It's fun hunting too, because even when the ground is normally frozen in the fields and parks, etc. you can dig down through the pine needles and mulch in the woods and still find fairly soft ground. And when the beach is too cold and windy to make hunting fun, you have at least some shelter from the wind in the woods. It's pretty much what I do when cold weather comes, unless a good nor'easter opens up prospects at the beach. For those that haven't tried it, woods hunting can be a whole new lease on the hobby.

Very nice Mike! that has been a great site for you guys, hope you can find another one like it.
Been a while since I have done any serious woods hunting. If the weather holds I'm gonna hit it some after rifle season is over with. Got a couple old yards to hit in the mean time.
Later, Tom

In many States various hunting seasons come in about this time of year.Bad time to be in the woods as the swinging of a coil can make you a target as some hunters?????? just shoot at anything...and the coil movement can be mistaken for game...