Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Back to Tuesday's honey hole with different tech produces expected results.

Ytcoinshooter

Yesterday I went back to the site of Tuesday's finds. The good signals had faded from the patch we pounded by the time we left. In fact almost all signal were gone. I had a pocket full of foil and bits of crap when left that day. Now since it was a sandy and soft bottom I put my "second layer" theory to the test. I believe that there are deeper targets we were walking over. I took my Excal 2 with 10" coil, GGA's & remote pinpoint mod along with my back twisting heavy hitter combo pictured below.
. A little more than 3 hours with my well balanced Excal made the area come alive again. That produced 3 silver coins, the large crucifix, small .925 ID, the copper chain, square likely aluminum religious medal and a few coins. 3 hours with the GT/WOT combo did the same a bit deeper, it netted 3 more deep silvers and that tiny 14K diamond ring. I started finding good targets with the first pass, immediately picking up the fancy medal with marcasite and partial chain. Soon after going over the 200 ft by approx 60 ft strip the ground got quieter with each retrieval. I've learned from use that the WOT doesn't lose much if anything on tiny targets.
When I took a break to go back to the car and switch to the Sov one of the locals drove up and stopped to chat. He asked what I was finding and my usual reply "sinkers, lures, pop tops and the occasional small change". He said that his buddy is coming up in 2 weeks with a "good one" (detector) and they were going to try. I asked where he thought would be good, "the old beach looking for old coins". I said we will have to meet up sometime, I genuinely meant that as I know we will be back to explore other parts of the lake. I've been working the "old beach" all along. Hustling back to the site with the WOT I was determined yesterday to leave nothing. Yet along the walk I met a second resident who said her husband wants to get down there and detect. Enough heard...game on! These kind of sites a window of opportunity as we here all know. I can't imagine delaying on it if I lived there and had any thought of detecting it.
The six wheats and six silvers alone would have made for a excellent day, the rest was icing. I used a long handled water scoop to retrieve all the targets. The sandy composition made it ideal even in the dry exposed areas.
HH - Bruce

Wow you really found some fantastic deep targets! Im going on a similar hunt tonight looking for the deep stuff, when I first got to the site there were about 15 old Wheats at 6-8" level, with no surface targets.

Bruce.......you have done a great job honing your skills and we can see the proof of that in your amazing finds!!! A big congrats on some really great finds:thumbup:

Thank you, very kind of you to say. When I started 28 years ago I thought the ability to find good stuff was dependent upon the detector. Man did I get frustrated, I still have the first wheat cent and first silver (Canadian dime) I dug. It took a long time to piece things together to learn that there are many factors from site selection to mental attitude, the list goes on. Today there are many capable detectors but they are just tools that I have to learn and select from. The process never ends. I was here on Findmall over 10 years ago and a competing site, then while too busy with life changing issues somewhere around 2007 (?) the software was changed and me (same screen name) and the old posts & pics went away...poof! So I reregistered 4 years ago and being here, learning from others has helped too.
HH - Bruce

Great finds again yt...i never saw a nicer buffalo nickle come out of the ground nicer than than one... i can relate to so much of what you say especially the adapt and conquer philosophy. ..when the targets get scarce its time to try different approaches. I too was on this site like 3 years and mysteriously vanished.... that site sat there unmolested all this years and now that they see you having success they are gonna come out of the woodwork...i have a feeling that place is gonna be pretty sterile shortly...early bird gets the worm...congrats on some great finds....

Excellent work and strategy for fully hunting a site!:clapping: I know we like to say "No place is ever hunted out' But I reckon THAT place is now more hunted out than others!:lmfao:
Mud

When the bottom is exposed and the digging is easy like this, anything that blips gets investigated. Different detectors with different tech driving them and processing the ground make a huge difference. If I hit it again with a Minelab I will start checking the faint nulls to see if it's a deeper target that doesnt drive the discriminator. We plan on locating the oldest home sites next to see if there is anything infront of retaining walls and around the docks. We were real lucky to have been able to verify with an elderly man about that were on the old nearly forgotten swim beach that used to exist. You wouldn't know now what it was by looking at the shore. Trees overhanging the lake and regular turf line the shore. I am thinking if there was sand on shore during its heyday it was dozed into the lake when a house was built there.
HH - Bruce

That's a heck of a spot you have there and your methods of hunting it are paying wonderful dividends. Outstanding job of hunting that patch. :thumbup: HH jim tn