Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Back to X-terra 705

EOS

I just picked up a used X-terra 705, and I realise what a fantastic detector it really is.
Sold mine to get the XP Deus, and that is a great super fast detector indeed, but the X-Terras simplicity, the sound, and handling is fantastic.
I am a bit tired of charching batteries, in coil, headphones, and unit on the Deus. The X-terra have 4 AA, and thats it! X-terra is a very complex detector in many ways. Maybe not that fast, deep, but if I slow down it will pick up even the smallest fragment, and I dont like to dig deep. It is deep enough, and I can always put on the Coiltek 15” for the deeper targets.

I use the eliptical 5x10” most of the time, since all detecting I do is archeological excavations, and I find it be the right coil to find tiny coin fragments. The hobby in Sweden is almost dead due to new rules. The fact that you need to pay 80$ for an application, and most of the time you dont get the permission. So you pay 80$ for nothing. It really sucks...

Well I hope you all enjoy your X-terra, and hope to see some exating posts on this great forum.

Mike

Good to have you back Mike! :clapping: It's been pretty quiet here this summer.
Maybe you can liven things up some? Your finds are typically outstanding!

Thank you Old Longhair!

Yes, I will do my best :) Guess most people hang around on Facebook and other social media nowadays. Not my cup of tea. I like this forum..

We still have a few guys in the MD-club that use X-terra, and the images are from an excavation early spring, when our mission was to find "left overs" from a viking treasure. We had a total of 78 finds from that treasure, and all of them silver, mainly coin fragment(Arabic) but other bits and bobs as well.
Tomorrow I will do a job, detecting culture layer from bronze age, and I will use the X-terra 705. Hopefully it will scare up some nice bits of metal :)

Mike

"The X-terra have 4 AA, and thats it"

Along with the many reasons why the 705 stays in my stable of units, the above quote is one of the top 3.

Sometimes getting out is a spur of the moment thing, and I know I can grab the 705, put in 4 fresh AA's and head out.

therover said:
"The X-terra have 4 AA, and thats it"

Along with the many reasons why the 705 stays in my stable of units, the above quote is one of the top 3.

Sometimes getting out is a spur of the moment thing, and I know I can grab the 705, put in 4 fresh AA's and head out.

Exactly why I dislike machines that need to be charged,not saying the machines are not good,,but unreliable in a unplanned hunt.Like you said,pop some fresh batteries in and go..

Yep - that is one of many things I like with the X-terra, also the battery consumption are relatively low.

Recently during an excavation I found a medieval coin fragment with the x-terra, amongst other finds, and we compared the signals with XP Deus with the elliptical HF-coil at 80 kHz. X-terra 705 gave a good signal even though the ground was scattered with iron. The Deus was sharp and fast, and had of course no problem to find it, but I was surprised how good X-terra was on this tiny find. I used the X-terra the whole day during the excavation, and it was so silent, compared to the Deus my friend used. This is one underestimated detector indeed, and this machine will stay in my stable.

I was delighted to come across this Thread as I have also reverted to my "X-Terra's 505 & 705"

My early "Equinox" experiences weren't just what I was after in a detector (600) It just didn't 'sound clean' always and wasn't 'overly stable' much of the time I spent putting it through its paces!

I've been using the X-Terra 505 all thru the summer because it was ADEQUATE for where I was and for what I was seeking!
The areas MOSTLY searched were: DRY sand & music / fair / circus inland short grass areas where coinage was either right on top of or just under the soil.

Just this week I was on the 'circus' site (its a seasonal visit and not there all the time) and found a good amount of coinage in a few hours.

There was a HUGE amount of foil from all the chocolate bars that were munched while they watched the 'trapeze acts' (no animals here) and a fair amount too of pull tabs.
In fairness to the land manager the site was spotless and just the odd 'Coke can' was still there, 'flattened' on the surface.

The 4 items in the photo show the size of the Targets heard WITH good TONE sounds and good numbers.
Note the tiny 'rusty' piece that would fit into the O shape of the pull tab...it is that small!!! Heard with GOOD CLEAR DISTINCT signal.
The Equinox also found [similar size] targets but both the tones and the TID's were 'jumpy and not clean cut as the X-Terra was.

EOS, I know very well the SOUND of and the SOLIDITY of the signal you got on that coin fragment. The "X-Terra's", grossly underrated aren't they?

Since it's now early October, I have switched over to a very reliable original model "E Trac" and look forward to getting onto the older sites for the older finds?

Good Hunting

Des D

EOS,

I didn't catch that you are Swedish?
No wonder the photos looked so bright! That type of light only occurs where you are...Denmark, Sweden etc.

Here's another photo of some "X-Terra 505" finds from the grass event field.

Sadly, the long shells come in at a bouncy TID 24 & 27 which is the same as the  €2 euro coin.

The smaller shells were TID 21 (if I remember right?)

Does anyone know what the long thin object is at the bottom of the photo?
There is a Military Fair held annually at the fields and I'm thinking that some of the finds just 'fell off the tables' into the grass as I have recovered some amazing items!

Des D

Des D said:
Does anyone know what the long thin object is at the bottom of the photo?
Reminds me of a nut pick, used to pick small bits of nuts from the intricate parts of the shells.
That's my guess.

Des D said:
"I think that that's a nutty reply!" Lol....
If you want me to get imaginative I'm sure that I can come up with a suggestion that's worse. :lol: