Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

BACKUP DETECTOR

I'm happy with my MXT, but trying to decide on the best backup detector. I've got a variety of other machines, the Gold Bug 2, the IDX Pro, the Gold Scanner Pro, and a couple of others. I may sell all but the MXT and go for a Sovereign or Musketeer, if I can find one. Could I get your opinion? Thanks.
James

Another MXT? Backup as for what, what type of hunting, or just in case the MXT is down? Yes, another MXT! :whites: HH, Nancy

Hi James,

I do not know anything at all about your Gold Bug 2 or Gold Scanner Pro so I offer no advice about them. However, I own and use a Mr Bill modified IDX Pro. The mods make it adjustable to work very well in almost any turf environment and adds more depth. It is a deep seeking, quick recovery, accurate ID detector. It has made some amazing finds in high iron trash sites. My point, you might consider keeping the IDX Pro and having Mr Bill add his mods.

Keep having fun,
Bob

James,

If you really feel the need to sell something off and don't get that much use from the Bug II they are still very popular gold detectors that hold their value so you should be able to get a ncie return on it. As far as a backup detector I would suggest either holding on to the excellent IDX or if you are in the mood to try out one of the newer detectors in the same frequency range as the IDX might I suggest one of the new Teknetics as worth trying out. The Omega in particular is doing very well for me and many others as a general purpose coin/relic/jewelry detector that offers excellent performance for the price. A big plus is the light weight and excellent balance even with the DD coil attached.

HH Tom

Hi James,i own both the Gt and the Musky and both are excellent detectors.As a back up to an mxt i would probably go for the Gt.....this option will give you the best wet sand beach performance bar none and also ultimate depth on cleaner sites.The MXT will give you better performance in high iron areas and ultimate sensitivity to really small objects,so each detector will give you something different but will compliment each other very well.

I don't know what type of hunting you do, but in my case I use the MXT as a tool to explore net relic sites. When I start to find targets at the 8" level I switch over to the Xterra 705 with the 10.5DD coil. To me in MY soil the MXT has a limit for depth, even with the D2 10DD coil. I enjoy crusing with the MXT because for me, it is a turn on and go machine, where as the Xterra will punch down to at least 12" to get the deep buttons & 3 ringers.........MO

I've always thought if a person owned just one detector it would be best to back it up with a second detector that was compatible with the same coils unless a special purpose, water machine, prospecting machine etc. was wanted or needed. In the case of the MXT that would include the DFX, M6 and V3. JMHO
BB

Thanks, all good advice. My IDX has the Mr. Bill mod and it is a great detector. I see your point Nancy, and it would be hard to do without the MXT should it fail for some reason. I guess I'm just trying to expand some of the potential of the MXT and still have an all around machine. I like Nauti Neil's idea, but finding a good machine and getting decent customer support from Minelab would be hard. Thanks.
James

I can verify that MoRelics 705 will go down twelve inches for a three ringer, I saw it myself and no one else's machine, and there were four of us, could pick it up because it was clearly visible in the side of the hole and we tried before it was retrieved.

If you know your machine, you will always get increased depth.

You could sell the extra machines and get another MXT.
Personally I would love to have a new one and use the old one as
back up, in my opinion.
Katz

i did have an XLT and really liked it. however the MXT is a better machine and i just couldnt put it down. i use my backup as a loaner also in case a buddy comes along.the XLT was too much for the once in a while hunter to use so i sold the XLT and bought another MXT and life is good. i dont have a problem finding deep silver with it or gold. the XLT had the lower frequency and is supposed to be better on silver items,but the MXT matched its depth and was alot better on gold. you could also try the M6 since your coils will work on both.

Pennyfinder, I'll try to let you know when I post that one for sale. Thanks for the comments. I want to get a good one for the beach and also in mineralized ground, maybe the Musketeer.
James

I would prefer an analog audio machine so it would have to be another MXT. Basically the backup I have right now would be my Eagle. My 5000D series 2 has analog but the Eagle doesn't. I also have a 5000D which isn't a motion detector but it's amazing how well it discriminates iron out. Heck I still have all my Whites machines and they all still work.

Tom suggested keeping the excellent modified IDX Pro, which I concur 100%. :thumbup:

He also suggested (since you've considered a different brand) something liken the Teknetics Omega. Again, I will support that excellent suggestion as the Omega 8000 works very well, and even with three coils it has a suggested retail the same as the MXT. :thumbup:

Then my third suggestion would be either another MXT or the M6.

Naturally, it all depends on what YOU are looking for a "back-up" or "second" detector to do for you that you can't get out of the MXT.

Monte