Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Backwoods Detecting

mapper65

Did some backwoods detecting today with Hotrod53. About a year ago a friend of mine gave us a tip about an old homestead deep in the woods behind his house. Shortly after that my Mom and I tried to find it with no success. I asked my friend one more time how to get there so a few weeks ago Hotrod53 and I made another attempt but were again unable to find it. Finally last week I asked my friend's kids to take me there and I would mark the way. It took them about 10 minutes to find it after we were in the vicinity so I no longer felt bad about not finding it on my previous attempts.

Today we made our way back to the site as I looked for a bottle that I hung on a tree branch marking where to get off of the beaten path and work our way over to the site. We know of someone that previously detected this spot but he would never say exactly where it was or what he found. He has since passed on so now was our chance to give it a shot.

Since the beginning of this year for some reason my brother and I seem to be alternating between good finds. Not individual finds but it seems like finds for the entire day. Today was evidently my day.

I found a 1945 merc in the first half hour. That was a good sign being that this other guy had detected the site. A short time later I found a 1931 wheat so at least I was heading in the right direction as far as dates went. Hotrod53 found a 1920 wheat. I got back into the springhouse area where I though there would be something good but didn't find anything.....until....I started head back towards the house. About 1 foot from a tree that had fallen across the path I had a nice 38-40 signal. Out popped a large cent! I can barely make out only an 8 on it after getting it home and cleaning it up.

Hotrod53 sat down to take a break and we were BS'ing. I was standing there and just happen to be swipe my coil about 5 feet from where he was sitting on a fallen tree and I picked up a 32 signal. I put my shovel in the ground and turned the dirt over and I saw a coin. Everything that we had been finding was petty old so it was exciting when we turned over a coin. I yelled "coin"! As I rubbed it a little and could see the headdress. I almost didn't have the heart to tell him being that today wasn't working out to be his day but I looked up and calmly said "indian". We both laughed. It was an 1865. It has a scratch on it but I was happy to find it. We both ended up finding another wheat each. He had a 1930's and I had a 1940.

We spent just over 6 hours at this site which proved to be well worth it. All of my finds were with the 6" Coiltek coil.

It's a tough location to get to and from so I'm not sure that I'm in too much of a hurry to go back anytime soon.

That I some nice finds. I'm still looking for my first large cent.