Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Bad coil, ideas before I try and send it in?

Jeff (IL)

When I bought my Elite (new) back in 04, it came with a 5inch excelerator S coil from detech. Believe or not, I never even took it out of the box till tonight. Put it on my GT and brought it out in the back yard to do a few air tests, and found that instead of the nice loud beep when going over a good target, it only "flutters" or "tics" for lack of a better word. Like someone is turning the volume up and down at a high rate of speed. It does provide a steady threshold. This only happens when going over targets....

Tried re seating the cable a few times, bypassing the meter, even trying it on my XS2-A, same thing.

Guess my question is before I try and send it in, anyone ever had this issue before? Could it be repairable by myself? Something like a back solder joint, bad connector or break in the wire?

Open for ideas before I possibly spend half of what the coil was worth to try and get it repaired.

Thanks,

Jeff (IL)

Detech coils are imported, and sold only by Kellyco. If you had just purchased it from them, you could send it in for a replacement.

About the only thing you can do is to take the connector apart and check for bad solder joints and shorts.
Be aware that if it is put together the way both of my Detech coils are/were, the wires are shielded with both the shield and center conductor used for each pin connection........the shield and center conductor act as the same conductor. There will also be a small jumper between pins 3 and 6. It is not needed since both pins ate tied to ground internally in the detector anyway.

HH

Thanks Art, the coil was part of a special that Kellyco was running when I bought the Elite. I'll contact them to see if there's anything they can do to help me, and do a quick check of the connector.

Appreciate the input.

Jeff (IL)

yeah man ...same thing happened to me... bought a 14' excellerator coil and hardly used it.... (wasn't impressed with it at first so i just put it away for a while) ...finally pulled it out and found out it was defective from the factory.... the dealer I bought it from said that I had it too long and just "hang it on the wall".... you can bet that'll be the last excellerator coil I ever buy...........