Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Bad Day

oneon

Cooler today so I decided to go to a park after striking out at the beach. It would be the first time using the machine on dirt. It was extremely frustrating. Trashy park that ive dug lots of wheats one silver anld a large copper with nothing left on the face. Figured I'd try deep silver and all i got was 9 inch deep bottle caps. Lots of noise and my frustration just got the best of me. I would have done much better with my dfx in mixed mode. Im hoping time will help me understand the machine in the dirt.
What really threw me was the caps were vding at between 80 and 90 I thought they were quarters.

Yes the caps ID as quarters but when you go to pinpoint you will know if they are quarters or caps. 83 and a long 22.5 bar its a cap. 83 and a long 2.5 bar its a quarter. I won't have to dig caps.

You need to bury a coin a a depth you need to find coins at. Because the park is trashy you need to see through the trash, you need to use a faster recovery. The DFX had a recovery of 45. You want to use just enough RX to get the depth you need. You don't want the coil picking up fringe target or deep junk. Try dropping he sensitivity to 85 to quiet all the small bits in the ground.

Of course a smaller coil really helps. I hunted in a trashy school yesterday. I was using a 10x12 and The V3i ran quiet and the threshold was smooth.

A good GB is ALL important. In trash use locktrac. I was hunting and had laid the detector down about 5 or 6 times. It got all noisy. I checked and I had it in autotrac. I rebalanced, and put in locktrac. it ran great for the rest of the hunt.

Thanks Rob I think I was just a bit too tired. I remember my first days with the DFX I was scratching my head. Ill get it in time.

Like Rob said.....those bottle caps are an easy "figurin" and his smaller coil suggestion is a wise logical next step too! The V3i is (IMHO) easier than the DFX once you get it to click.....all the adjustments are easier to get to and interact very predictably so you can spank into a quick adjustment (with full performance) in a changing situation. I remember when I'd actually regress back to using my DFX.....distant memory now!

I can figure out bottle caps more or less like you guys. What I found that I always dig is pull tabs. They read arround 50 with the high in the 22.5 so I know what they are, but a ring should read more or less the same, so I end up diggin them all.

nw1886 said:
Like Rob said.....those bottle caps are an easy "figurin" and his smaller coil suggestion is a wise logical next step too! The V3i is (IMHO) easier than the DFX once you get it to click.....all the adjustments are easier to get to and interact very predictably so you can spank into a quick adjustment (with full performance) in a changing situation. I remember when I'd actually regress back to using my DFX.....distant memory now!

I was wishing I had my DFX in the park today. Pretty funny. I see the incredible potential and on the beach I did so much better with this machine than the DFX. I'll get it all down soon enough! Still wishing for a book though...I do my best when Im sitting down next to the machine book in hand. Back to the beach in the morning and maybe a return trip to the park!