Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Badge

Boxcarwilly

Found this badge a few years back,its found on a homesite from the 1857 tax map in western NY.I have yet to be able to id the origin or history behind it.it seems to have been 2 pieces that the back has deteriorated.

Attachments

• 20180613_210526.jpg
    20180613_210526.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 209
Size? Looks possibly fraternal or “lodge” type profile. Law enforcement badges started out as tin or copper (thus Cops) but the initials on the face rule that out. Be interesting to find out what it represents!!

Ronstar might be onto somethin' I was thinkin' at first of a cattle association maybe but it looks like a buffalo although
them horns ain't right! Really cool though. Good find!! I'll post if I come up with something I'm a fair to midland researcher!

Hey Boxcar what do you think the top letters are D o C and C G on bottom? Maybe give me some time on it.
Sometimes I get relentless!! I hate when you find stuff and can't figure out what it is,,....especially with lettering!!

Hey Boxcar what do you think the top letters are D o C and C G on bottom? Maybe give me some time on it.
Sometimes I get relentless!! I hate when you find stuff and can't figure out what it is,,....especially with lettering!!
Yes the top seems to reed DCo then C.G on bottom,not sure if its a buffalo or a bull but seems to be more buffalo like to me.Thanks in advance for any help!

Boxcar I did see some Buffalo, NY city police badges w/ buffalo on front looks really similar.
Might be D-deputy Co-commandant C-coast G-guard. There is a coast guard station in Buffalo.
The police badges I saw were 1920s and man they look close. Starting place anyhow!!

Boxcar if you get a chance g@@gle 1920s Buffalo city police badge and look at images you will see what I mean.

Boxcar I did see some Buffalo, NY city police badges w/ buffalo on front looks really similar.
Might be D-deputy Co-commandant C-coast G-guard. There is a coast guard station in Buffalo.
The police badges I saw were 1920s and man they look close. Starting place anyhow!!
That is most definitely a possibility.It was dug just shy of 2 hours from buffalo ny.thanks for all the help!a lot closer now!

That is most definitely a possibility.It was dug just shy of 2 hours from buffalo ny.thanks for all the help!a lot closer now!
I also found some Dept, of Interior badges w/buffs on them but they're not very similar. good luck! I'll keep looking too some.
Told you I could be relentless :thumbup: :thumbup:

I gotta believe its Buffalo, NY related and I think early 1900s going by the style.
HH
okie

I've been doing a bit of research on this, the size and style does not seem to line up with a typical police or military badge, they tend to be a little more reserved than having a rampant bull or buffalo. Just some thoughts here - could the CG be "Color Guard"? I have seen that a number of Correction Departments (the DoC) had formed Color Guards. Those badges tend to look more police like (the symbolism is stately, showing respect an honor rather than power or rage rage) but I couldn't find any really old ones. I'm thinking a college color guard. once again, just my 2C. Is the badge cast or pressed? Very cool to find any badge, and Happy Hunting.

OK I found one - it is listed as a "Company D Buffalo City Guards shoulder belt plate" the date was estimated at 1850 to 1870. The confusing part is that there was originally an eagle over the badge, measurements with the eagle gone come up a little short. G@@gle Shoulder Belt Plate for Co. "D" Buffalo City Guards the first or second image will show you what I mean.

Best Wishes, Happy Hunting, and very cool find!

OK I found one - it is listed as a "Company D Buffalo City Guards shoulder belt plate" the date was estimated at 1850 to 1870. The confusing part is that there was originally an eagle over the badge, measurements with the eagle gone come up a little short. G@@gle Shoulder Belt Plate for Co. "D" Buffalo City Guards the first or second image will show you what I mean.

That's awesome Taxidea! Boxcar will get a kick out of this when he reads it. Kudos on the ID! Most of the badges I was
looking at had the eagle on top too. Could be broke off on his badge kinda hard to tell on the picture. Again, great job

okie :csflag:

Thanks taxidea! I greatly appreciate the hard work!

I believe the one i found had the eagle at one point.i will have to go back out and look for it,Thanks again!
Good Luck, and that would really be a find! In the rear view of the badge it looks like the second attachment to the strap was right at the eagle attachment, if that broke it could have been whay it was lost. Thanks for posting the neat Whatizit.