Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Bandido or Silver Sabre which one to keep?

Three months from now, early March, I will wrap up 57 years of detecting. I didn't have a Conquistador, but I did handle one to do some comparisons. I was mainly using smaller-size detectors than those huge box White's. In the summer of '69 the White's GhostTowner BFO was definitely smaller and lighter, and in '71 I continued to use smaller-size or better-balanced detectors. While that started to be a trend, it was the Tesoro detectors from the summer of '83 on that set standard for smaller and light-weight and balanced well. The µMAX (microMAX) series really have been appreciated.

Monte
Thanks, Monte! I bought a new Silver umax in the 90's, and cleaned-up 2 small Civil War cavalry camps with it. I was hooked on Tesoro after that. Stuff was not very deep in either place, but some items were deep enough to surprise me. Went back later to these places with a Minelab Explorer and a Whites V3i. The Tesoro didn't leave much behind for the other machines to find. I finally sold my "big" machines and figured that whatever a Tesoro couldn't find, I didn't need. Lol

Thanks, Monte! I bought a new Silver umax in the 90's, and cleaned-up 2 small Civil War cavalry camps with it. I was hooked on Tesoro after that. Stuff was not very deep in either place, but some items were deep enough to surprise me. Went back later to these places with a Minelab Explorer and a Whites V3i. The Tesoro didn't leave much behind for the other machines to find. I finally sold my "big" machines and figured that whatever a Tesoro couldn't find, I didn't need. Lol
My all-time favorite ghost town, that I named 'Twin Flats', produced hundred of old coins for me. Enough to fill four binder of carded 2X2's with some left to clean an card. I hit it first on My 4th of '69 with my brother, Ed, and then off-an-on through the year with various TR's, TR-Disc., and various VLF/TR-Disc. detectors. even a little with some VlF/VLF-Disc./TR-Disc. units with the faster sweep speed. I always found stuff, but it was a bit of a challenge to hunt due to the vast amount of iron junk, and dealing with the dense brush and uneven ground.

Then in July of '83 Tesoro introduced the Inca. I became a Tesoro dealer, swapped the 7" Concentric coil from my Mayan to the Inca, and started Relic Hunting 85% of the time. I have hunted ghost towns and other old-use sites in Arizona, California, Colorado, Idaho, Nevada, New Mexico, Utah and Wyoming. Of the high number of old coins, trade tokens and other smaller-size neat stuff, most of it is rather shallow. I've eye-balled Seated Liberty Dimes and Quarters, 'v' and Shield Nickels fully or partially exposed. I have found a few deeper good targets, but the amount of dense ferrous debris masks a lot of keepers .... but the Tesoro's found a lot of them.

I do have my CoRe and Relic and Apex devices, but I grab a Tesoro over 50% of the time, and for a very good reason - - - they Work and they Work Well.

Monte

Does these detector have multi tones?
No, my Tesoro's do not have a Tone ID other than their single-tone. The minimum Disc. setting is close to the ferrous / non-ferrous break point so there wouldn't be a Low-Tone Iron Audio. Just a good 'beep' on higher-conductive, non-ferrous targets.

Monte

No, my Tesoro's do not have a Tone ID other than their single-tone. The minimum Disc. setting is close to the ferrous / non-ferrous break point so there wouldn't be a Low-Tone Iron Audio. Just a good 'beep' on higher-conductive, non-ferrous targets.

Monte
Yes, and it doesn't take very long to learn those beeps.

Yes, and it doesn't take very long to learn those beeps.
Very true. For example, I can hit a Tot-Lot and 'audibly classify' about 95% of the discarded foil and bypass it to continue hunting for coins and jewelry. There are other things we can learn from the audio, too.

Monte

Thanks guys. I sold my fors relic wish I would have kept it
This happens soften through the years, we realize we 'goofed' I can't tell you how many times I have made such a mistake.

On the other hand, some folks happen to have more than one of some models. In my den I have a 'backup' or 'spare' FORS Relic that is in pristine condition. I only used it about 15 minutes. It is one of several detectors I am going to be thinning out.

Monte