Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Bandido restoration question.

OZDigger

I have just acquired a original Bandido board and front panel which I intend to make into a compact collapsible detector for behind the car seat and carrying in a back pack. The board has a battery connection of the style used to attach 9 volt batteries. The manual states two 9 volt batteries are required. Reading through other threads on this forum I note that members indicate that one well charged 9 v battery can be used if need be. From this I deduce that the two batteries referred to in the manual were in parallel in a purpose built holder. Can some one confirm if this correct, and could six AA batteries in series be used instead.

Yes, they took two 9v batteries.

I'm not certain without a schematic, however, but I believe one battery was for the detector circuits and the other for the audio.
9 volts is 9 volts, though, so you should be able to make it work.
Just ensure you provide the power to both circuits, at least initially.
Once you determine what's what, you may be able to refine it down to a single battery holder and connection.

PS what would be the harm in just using it as is?

Thanks for the reply.

I have tried it with just one new battery and it does work, however there is a label attached which says "Faulty, OK with good batteries", which suggests to me that it may have a greater current requirement than can readily be provided by one battery. Thus a explanation or better still a photo of how the batteries were originally installed would be most useful.

The Bandido had two of the plugs for 9 volt batteries and they slid into the housing.

Mine had a rear panel that housed the battery enclosure.
Inside were two connectors and room for the batteries.
This was the standard arrangement on the monolithic housing I'm familiar with.

Where the wires went after diving into the box itself, however, is anyone's guess.

The wires just formed in around the battery's.

This thread made me curious so I got out my Bandido and tested it with a multimeter.
The negative terminals on both battery connectors are connected together.
The positive terminals are not directly connected together.

Then I tested the Bandido with only one battery.
It worked perfect with one battery connected to either battery connector.
I'm guessing that the positive terminals are connected together through diodes.

Since my Bandido is still under warranty I'm reluctant to open it up and draw a schematic.
It's good to know that it will definitely run on only one battery.
Also it should run okay on six AA batteries.

BeyWolf

Thanks very much for that information, using that guidance I was able to identify the spots from which the second battery connector had been removed.

On examining the PCB it can be seen where the positive wires attach, each then goes through a diode. On the far side of the diodes, both diodes are joined on the PCB and a white wire goes from there to the on/off switch attached to the sensitivity control. The negative wires are joined on on the PCB.

I feel this confirms the understanding that the 2, 9V batteries are only used to provide greater detecting time before battery change and apart from the weight penalty there is no reason why 6 AA could not be used.

Regards

OZDigger

OZDigger

Your welcome and thank you for confirming my guess.
My Bandido is the best detector I have when hunting nail and iron infested ground.
Good luck with yours.