Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Bank savings box

Billium

From what I have been told, the banks would issue these boxes and keep the key. When you had filled the box you would take it back to the bank, they would then open you a savings account and give you the box back to fill again. Can't see it in the pictures but there is a double coin trap in it with wires to keep the coins from being taken out of the deposit slot. She is crusty but I thought cool enough to share.
I will answer the proverbial question. No coins :(. The bottom was/is gone. I guess they ran out of money and had to "break the bank".

n/t

It didn't hit like you would think. I had a solid penny sound and TID. The copper name plate was facing up or I never would have heard it.
I didn't look too hard but I believe around 1900.
The bottom was missing and the supports for the bottom are bent like it was broken into. It was full of dirt and I sure was hopping there was at least one silver stuck in there somewhere but nope.
To answer the next question; yes I triple checked that hole and dug a bunch of dirt down and around the spot. Again, Nope.
My theory is they got hard up broke into it, likely for travel money, pitched it and got the heck out of there.
It was found at a friends property and very old cabin. Today I returned it to them and they were ecstatic and will proudly display in on the mantle.

Very nice find...that's something you do not find very often for sure.