Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Banning of metal detecting

arm1.jpg

Have a cousin who told me years ago that the dirt you dig out of a hole will not be enough to refill it. I believe him. And he was not talking about metal detecting. Have gone to fields that I have hunted weeks earlier that the holes had settled a inch lower than when I filled them after a rain.

We have the Snake River nearby where I live and for a very long time the frats and sororitys have their early fall and just before graduation beach parties along the sandy beaches. Army Corp of Engineers has banned any digging on the beaches and offers no plausible explanation as to why. Would love to see some strapping big hulk of a dude yell at some small kid who just filled is bucket with sand.

Just got out to hunt for a couple hours after work. Police officer stops and talks to me. It was all cool. He owns a D2 just like me. So we talked detecting. He had just been hunting in a local park and another police officer stopped him to let him know the local Township just banned detecting in all their parks. No idea why.

If one or two people doing something wrong is cause for a ban, then they should ban automobiles. Or perhaps they should be consistent and allow detecting but require a permit. Anybody doing stupid stuff gets the permit revoked.

Just got out to hunt for a couple hours after work. Police officer stops and talks to me. It was all cool. He owns a D2 just like me. So we talked detecting. He had just been hunting in a local park and another police officer stopped him to let him know the local Township just banned detecting in all their parks. No idea why.

If one or two people doing something wrong is cause for a ban, then they should ban automobiles. Or perhaps they should be consistent and allow detecting but require a permit. Anybody doing stupid stuff gets the permit revoked.
Thats just it not like lots of people are going to be doing it and tear everything up. There are bad actors in camping, picnicking, fishing, hunting etc.
maybe require permits instead of a complete ban and if you violate ethics get fined or lose your permit.
Fish and game police those that fish and hunt. Always police around parks and beaches to keep an eye out. So why the need for a complete ban.

How unexpected! Not usually how a police interaction goes. Awesome that he had a D2 and stopped to chat detecting.

Unfortunate about bans though...seems like all it would take is 1 guy who didn't like someone detecting to take it to city council and stretch the truth to put on the radar and bring down the banhammer. A bad apple would just make the decision easier. A guy could be doing everything right and some will still have a negative perception of the hobby, because...digging holes!! Ignorance. :shrug:

So apparently there are places that ban metal detecting maybe just me I can’t really think of good legitimate reasons why. I can understand some situations like a historical site that needs preservation or private property, a ball field that needs to be kept well groomed etc. But a general ban am I missing something? What possible good reasons am I missing? There are plenty of other things that are more harmful. If it’s leaving large holes everywhere then just fine an individual in specific cases when warranted

Thats just it not like lots of people are going to be doing it and tear everything up. There are bad actors in camping, picnicking, fishing, hunting etc.
maybe require permits instead of a complete ban and if you violate ethics get fined or lose your permit.
Fish and game police those that fish and hunt. Always police around parks and beaches to keep an eye out. So why the need for a complete ban.
I think it’s because the preservationists and the archeologist and the property developers have joined forces. The preservationists think any area older than fifty years old is “ historic” and must be preserved! The archeologist all live on government grant money and need sites to dig and the developers don’t want anything found that might slow up a project. Hell in Florida one of the freedoms our governor gave us is the requirement that any item found that is more than fifty years old must be reported. Luckily for me I only find things 49 years old.

I think it’s because the preservationists and the archeologist and the property developers have joined forces. The preservationists think any area older than fifty years old is “ historic” and must be preserved! The archeologist all live on government grant money and need sites to dig and the developers don’t want anything found that might slow up a project. Hell in Florida one of the freedoms our governor gave us is the requirement that any item found that is more than fifty years old must be reported. Luckily for me I only find things 49 years old.
That makes too much common sense and we know common sense usually doesn’t apply to most things.
I think it boils down to most people are selfish. If it’s something they want or like then it’s ok for others to do but if it’s not then others can’t do it.
Same goes with opinions, if its the same its ok if not then it’s censored or your cancelled/banned . No different

The county where I live here in Texas banned the use of metal detectors in parks but the feral hogs have free range to plow up one particular park and they don't fill their holes. I was asked to leave a city park while detecting in the same county and it was no where written in the park rules that metal detectors are not allowed. Instead of arguing and causing a scene I apologized and left but I'll be back but will hunt out of sight in the nearby wooded areas of the park...fringe areas can be productive in an old park!

I didn’t know that here anything over 50 years old has to be reported and to who?
So any quarter, or bottle cap, hot wheels car etc before 1973 has to be reported?

There are some that do not fill their holes. When you see an area that someone has done this, it is very unsightly. I think that the unfilled hole issue can many times be attributed to squirrels and other critters This is especially true of parks and any area that has a squirrel population.
This! I'm a witness to my plugs being removed over night by an unknown critter (guessing groundhog or skunk) at a property I was detecting over a couple weeks' time.
Not sure why they do it, but it does happen.

In a world that criminalizes safe and healthy activities while decriminalizing crime, utter degeneracy and narcotics, you gotta start asking yourself some questions and maybe being low key.
Yes yes yes and yes!! They pay attention to the little things because they have no solution for the big things.

No doubt some of the issues listed in this thread have caused detecting bans. The rise of social media and amateur video doesn't help either. Moronic show offs with an insatiable need for attention making their little videos of themselves digging craters in the park with their big old shovels to put on u toob, tickety tock, faceyplace, etc. Also, I'm sure it doesn't help the reputation of the hobby when big mouths on public forums talk about or coyly suggest how they detect on private property without permission.

But no one has mentioned what I think is the biggest reason for bans: the city hall permission seekers. The skittish, low self-confidence types who feel they have to have permission to detect on public property lest someone should happen to frown on what their doing. Or, heaven forbid, a cop might approach them. So they rattle the hornet's nest seeking that Godly permission and next thing you know one thing leads to another and something that no one would have cared about or given a thought to otherwise gets an ordinance against it.

So apparently there are places that ban metal detecting maybe just me I can’t really think of good legitimate reasons why. I can understand some situations like a historical site that needs preservation or private property, a ball field that needs to be kept well groomed etc. But a general ban am I missing something? What possible good reasons am I missing? There are plenty of other things that are more harmful. If it’s leaving large holes everywhere then just fine an individual in specific cases when warranted
Finding places to detect is often not that easy. Finding sites worth detecting and getting permission is hard often. Plenty of land but nothing in the soil here.