Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Bare Fisted Boxers

A

Anonymous

My friend found this medal Sunday while we were digging bottles. It appears to be copper or bronze. It was stamped, as the back is just a reverse of the front, indented. There is no wording at all. I assume it hung from a ribbon, but does anyone know any details about a medal like this? We are very curious to know. Thanks.

Thanks guys....I hadn't thought of the possibility of a watch fob! Wish I could come up with more info but so far, I can't find anything on the web on this particular relic. There is some interesting stuff out there on bare-fisted boxing though. It is a cool find....my friend has a real unique keeper here!

After viewing this image in detail, is it my imagination, or does it appear that one opponent is a masked man, semi clothed and the other is buck naked, with possible African American features?

Here is an interesting link about boxing stances. Note how the pic matches the stance on the fob...
I haven't been able to find it, but I would guess from the detail (the boxer's stances, the faces, the ropes, even the carnival tent roof lines) that this fob was based on a drawing or photograph of an actual fight that took place, possibly a souvenir of the event. Lots of links to the history of boxing, with some pics of Dempsey looking close to the correct era of the figure on the left. If you can find the drawing/photograph, you'll be a long way towards ID'ing and dating this neat find.
From the link below:
Now, moving onto the bareknuckle stance that most people are familar with from boxings Golden Age, John L Sullivan, Paddy Ryan, Jem Mace, Heenen, Sayers....etc. Fig 2 and 3 show this strange extended lead stance with the arms held relatively low and the legs very straight. It is very different from the modern stance we are so used to seeing. Does this mean it was not as effective as the modern stance? No, it just means that boxing had different rules, and like the modern stance, the older stance catered to the rules of the game. These rules were known as the London Prize Ring Rules, or, to save myself the trouble, the LPR. The LPR took over from the Broughton rules in 1838. They were very similar but slightly more refined than the earlier system. Let's take a quick look at what was deemed illegal under the LPR....<<<

Thanks Steve....this is an interesting subject that I haven't thought of delving into.

If you can,clean the loop at the top,and look for lettering and /or a name.A lot of these items were stamped here. HH Bob