Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Barracuda problem

A

Anonymous

I took the cuda to the beach today and it was very unstable. I can always run the gain at 8, this with a slight thres tone. But today it falsed on every swing. I slowed it down to just walking without swinging the coil and it was fine. It always false going from my left to my right. Going the other way it is fine. I have made sure my swings are level to the ground and even speed . The detector also goes off in the water ( 3 feet deep) When a wave is close. This is a good warning device to prevent a wave from swamping you, but it gets a little bothersome. I have charged the battery and checked the voltage 12.4 vdc. I wonder if I have a coil leak? I

Try the unit at a different location.
Go inland and give it a try on the dirt. There is a good possibility that they was some type of electrical interference around.
Have you done this area before, and had no problems ?
Bill

Yes I have detected this area and have not had any problems before. This a beach area behind my home. The wave problem was always there, but I could cut the gain from 8 to 6 and get rid of the falseing. I have set the gain at 1 and it still falses. I have tried it in the back yard and the same result. I tried positioning the control box on my back side to see if the coil was picking it up and it does help a little(not much).I lived with the falseing and went down the beach at the base where thier is always alot of targets and picked up 3 pennys and 1 bobby pin and all were 2 inshes or shallower. I don't hunt this area very much because of digging 2 foot deep pop tabs.I have emailed Jim Pugh and he has not responded yet. Thanks for your quick responce and keep me informed on the Deep Star. KURT

Hi Kurt,
Only last week I had a detector in for service where the user reported exactly the same problem. I have had the same thing myself when searching some beaches and it seems to occur in patches. I have checked out the detectors and found nothing wrong so I can only assume it is a change in beach conductivity. Nearer the water is obviously more conductive than further away. If you get the effect on dry sand or just waving the coil in the air then it is a problem with the electronics. Waving the coil in the air, or indeed the normal side to side motion of scanning will induce a voltage in the coil due to the earth's magnetic field. If the integrator circuit is not well balanced then this will cause a variation in the audio. You can also check this out by waving a small ferrite magnet over the coil (6in to 1ft). If the integrator is properly balanced there should be no change in sound. This is a production test that we do on the Deepstar and there is an adjustment to achieve proper balance.
Eric.