Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Basic Coin hunting settings for my AT Gold

Good Afternoon All!

I have been busy with my Restoration activities and have not looked at my detector for ages. Would someone please be kind enough to give me some good coin hunting settings that I can use on my AT Gold.

Thanks All

Hi 1ringedingy,

I have both the AT Pro and the AT Gold. Both VERY GOOD machines. Each 'tweaked' for slightly different things.

You will find the AT Gold a very, very 'chatty' machine. Especially compared to an AT Pro. But that is partly due to it having some
of the more advanced features and operating at a higher frequency (18 kHz). The AT Pro is 15kHz.
I have never been able to get the AT Gold to operate as quitly as my AT Pro. It is just a more sensitive machine.

The short answer.. Use Disc2 mode. That essentially sets the machine up for hunting US coins. Pages 26-28 in the manual gives the descriptions for discrimination modes.

The Gold has many advanced features that can be customized and you will find that everyone seems to have their favorite settings.

You will often find that the settings that one person uses may not be the optimum settings for you or the particular ground you happen to be hunting in.

Using the AT Gold for coins, I recommend trying the Disc2 mode to start with. Then if it is still too 'chatty' for you, you can then move on to trying to 'tweak' some of the more advanced settings to
help quiet the machine down a bit.

Some things to try;
Start at the beginning. Some of the simple things people overlook.

1. Make sure the coil cable is wrapped reasonably tight around the shaft. You don't want it real tight, but you don't want it so too loose either. I have found too loose and when you swing the detector it can cause chatter if the cable moves around even a little.
2. Make sure the coil connector is firmly seated and tight. Do not tighten it too tight or it can be a pain to loosen later. Never use tools. Finger tight only. Put a little silicon lube on the oring to help keep it watertight.
3. Fresh set or fully recharged batteries. Same here, put a little silicon lube on the oring to help keep it watertight.
4. I recommend to do a factory reset on the detector too. Never hurts. Especially important if you change the coil.
5. Power it On. Make sure to hold the coil up off the ground when you first power it On. Believe it or not, it can make a slight difference on how the detector behaves.
6. Ground balance it.
7. Give it a few swings and see how it reacts. Put a coin on the ground and give it a try.

If it is still too chatty, you will need to start adjusting some of the settings, including the more advanced settings.
1. Turn down the sensitivity a couple notches.
2. Try a different frequency (it has 4 settings)
3. Adjust the ground balance window a bit wider.

Other things to try;
1. Use a smaller coil.
2. If you are at a park, try the beach instead of the picnic areas. Any picnic area tends to be full of trash with just makes it more 'chatty'.

There are LOTS of other things to try. but the above is a good start.

Another option is to go the other way....

Set it to 'All Metal Mode'.
Turn down the sensitivity to say 5 or 6 bars.
Ground balance it.
Give it a swing.

This should eliminate a lot of the crackles, pops, and grunts caused by the discrimination when in 'Disc2' mode.
But now, it will sound off on everything. Meaning you may need to pay attention to the ID Numbers a bit more, at least until you get more used to the sounds.

Then again, there are the more 'advanced' features;
Threshold settings
Ground Balance Window settings.
Iron discrimination settings
etc.

Some like the discrimination mode better, some like the 'all metal mode' better. Try them both and see which works better for you.

It WILL take some time and using it for a bit to REALLY get the feel of it. Especially if you are coming from using an AT Pro.

But is is a very good machine. Just a bit more high-end and sensitive when compared to an AT Pro.

I think the AT Gold is a bit better for Jewelry, Gold, Silver, Relics. But still good on Coins too.

I think the AT Pro is better for Coins, New Users, and people who prefer a quieter machine, but it too is still very good for Jewelry, Gold Silver, Relics, etc.