Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Battery Tender Jr. and battery life

Dirt Poor

I bought my Excal used a couple years back, and it has been a great machine, with no problems. I read so much about the BT jr, that I got one a while back. I have probably charged with it maybe 8 times since getting it, but I don't seem to get but maybe 3 hours or so hunting time from a charge, then it acts kinda funny. I think the pod is the one that came on the machine new, and I'd say the machine is 5-6 years old, so it may be time for a new battery anyway. I ordered an aftermarket battery pack today. What's your opinion on the BT jr.? I still have the ML charger, but was always concerned about not knowing if or when it was fully charged. Thanks for any opinions!

Dirt.... have you used the ML charger to see if you get a better charge than you are with the BT jr? That might tell you something. I assume you are talking about the RECHARGEABLE pod and not the AA with rechargeables in it? Aftermarket battery pack..... where did you get it? If you cant post it PM me. I hate giving ML a ton of money for accessories.

Dew

Ive seen that set up..... possibly your post. The picture isnt very big so ill ask why 2 devices and not come off the first? What VDC @ MA is the first producing? The ML charger produces 14.3 VDC @ 60MA while the Jr. is 12 VDC @750 MA. Does that mean the Jr. is charging faster at a safer VDC? How about a picture of you Jr set up?

Dew

dewcon4414 said:
Ive seen that set up..... possibly your post. The picture isnt very big so ill ask why 2 devices and not come off the first? What VDC @ MA is the first producing? The ML charger produces 14.3 VDC @ 60MA while the Jr. is 12 VDC @750 MA. Does that mean the Jr. is charging faster at a safer VDC? How about a picture of you Jr set up?

Dew
Pic is as large as they will allow One is charger & other is power supply send me your e mail & I will send U a large Pic U can read erik8829@gmail.com

dewcon4414 said:
Dirt.... have you used the ML charger to see if you get a better charge than you are with the BT jr? That might tell you something. I assume you are talking about the RECHARGEABLE pod and not the AA with rechargeables in it? Aftermarket battery pack..... where did you get it? If you cant post it PM me. I hate giving ML a ton of money for accessories.

Dew
Thanks. I may switch back to the ML charger to see if there's a difference. The aftermarket battery pack is coming off fee-bay. It was 41.00, and I surely hope it will work. I'm not familiar with the AA with rechargeables? I did use the excal today for about 3 hours, and had no issues. I left the BT jr. on all night, but don't know if that matters. The BT jr. charges the original pack up in a matter of minutes, and it's hard to believe I'm getting a full charge in such a short amount of time, but maybe so. I'll have to insert the new battery pack into the old pod when the time comes, and hope that won't be a proble. Thanks!

erikk said:
Hard to beat......
erikk why can't you charge the GT with this set up? Even though the out put tabs it won't charge?

Don't have a Sov so don't know the battery set up but I charge all 4, 8,12 AA set ups that are in a battery container & 9V's + the excal's If it is a self contained pac I would think if you made a device that would allow you to apply the leads (pos-neg) it should work Something like the tray Sun-Ray makes for the Explorer pac's

Don't think you have a problem with you battery pack, as putting a quick charge to them and not fully discharging them or conditioning them will cause your problems. They will quickly show operating voltage and cut the charger, but will not store the amps. By slow charging 16-20 hours you may get more usable time from them. But really a lot of good batteries are disposed of because of improper care and charging. A lot of these could be rejuvenated and work fine. I use a Triton charger made for this, similar to erikk's. I charge camera, drill, etc. with great results, including the GT from the tabs. Costs a little, but by far one of the best investments.

I use the Accucel 6 charger. For $25 this charger will charge anything and is computerized with many settings. You can't charge through the normal charge port as there is a circuit in there. You have to hitch up to the battery leads.

Critter did a complete wrte up on the Accucel 6 charger ......I bought 2 of them in case one craps out ......GREAT unit , and Critter covered the info on this charger extensively !!.....Great job Critter !!.....Jim

tippyhound said:
erikk said:
Hard to beat......

Will this work on the E-Trac battery systems? The E-Trac battery pods has a built in voltage regulator. Will this charger hurt these battery pods?

Don;t have an E track so don't know what the pods look like but if they are like the Explorer 2 should B no problem

erikk said:
tippyhound said:
erikk said:
Hard to beat......

Will this work on the E-Trac battery systems? The E-Trac battery pods has a built in voltage regulator. Will this charger hurt these battery pods?

Don;t have an E track so don't know what the pods look like but if they are like the Explorer 2 should B no problem

The battery pod is a long slender pack that slides in under the arm rest . It is set up with 8 cells inside and has a plug in on the side similar to the Excal.

Thanks for the come back. Rick IL.

I really don't know if it would work or not unless you charge though the tabs on the end and not the charging port as it has the circuit in it and if you burn out something in it then it will not charge I feel. Sun Ray used to make a charging station where the pack went it to and had a charging port on it so you could use their chargers, but others worked too as it charged though the end where the output was and worked excellent.