Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Be Careful What You Throw In That "Junk" Drawer. Got A Few Potential Keepers Here...

Critterhunter

Last night I hooked up with a local circle of hunting friends at a diner to chat. I brought along a small junk box of some of the items I've found roughly over the last few years or so, but haven't sorted them out and thrown into various small drawers in a nuts and bolt like filing cabinet according to types of items yet. Usually when I get around to doing that that's when I pay a bit closer attention to some of the stuff and might try to research an item here or there if I suspect it might have some value to it or some unique history aspects.

Anyway, so last night at the diner I'm thumbing through a few things for some show and tell, when I pulled out this small heavy brass item that I figured was just a pawn piece for a small chess board or something. Out of second thought, I flipped it upside down to look at the bottom and saw a 4 leaf clover pattern. One of the guys attending the get together knows some aspects of antiques where I have some gaping blind spots, so I handed it over to him and asked if he thought it might be a wax seal for letters.

He looked at it and said "Yep, that's what it is alright, and some of those things go for a pretty penny on ebay and such", or words to that effect in the course of conversation here. So today I looked it up on ebay and first item I see staring me right in the face is the exact same seal I have. So here's what I saw in that ebay add, where as mine has a four leaf clover pattern...
[attachment 260388 waxseal1.JPG][attachment 260389 waxseal2.JPG][attachment 260390 waxseal3.JPG][attachment 260392 waxseal4.JPG][attachment 260393 waxseal5.JPG]

$95 asking price, and the supposed history...

"A terrific quality, heavy, antique late Georgian English, solid brass seal, with stylish simple top and its base depicting a rose. Dating from around 1800/10 and in excellent condition throughout with no loss or damage, it weighs 13.0 grams and measures just over an inch tall. The final photo shows it with a US penny (1 cent) coin for scale, which measures 19 mm /

What an awesome find there. I thought my silver quarter the other day was just meager clad too. Always double check. I bet the clover pattern is more sought after. Thanks for sharing.

Critterhunter said:
Last night I hooked up with a local circle of hunting friends at a diner to chat. I brought along a small junk box of some of the items I've found roughly over the last few years or so, but haven't sorted them out and thrown into various small drawers in a nuts and bolt like filing cabinet according to types of items yet. Usually when I get around to doing that that's when I pay a bit closer attention to some of the stuff and might try to research an item here or there if I suspect it might have some value to it or some unique history aspects.

Anyway, so last night at the diner I'm thumbing through a few things for some show and tell, when I pulled out this small heavy brass item that I figured was just a pawn piece for a small chess board or something. Out of second thought, I flipped it upside down to look at the bottom and saw a 4 leaf clover pattern. One of the guys attending the get together knows some aspects of antiques where I have some gaping blind spots, so I handed it over to him and asked if he thought it might be a wax seal for letters.

He looked at it and said "Yep, that's what it is alright, and some of those things go for a pretty penny on ebay and such", or words to that effect in the course of conversation here. So today I looked it up on ebay and first item I see staring me right in the face is the exact same seal I have. So here's what I saw in that ebay add, where as mine has a four leaf clover pattern...
[attachment 260388 waxseal1.JPG][attachment 260389 waxseal2.JPG][attachment 260390 waxseal3.JPG][attachment 260392 waxseal4.JPG][attachment 260393 waxseal5.JPG]

$95 asking price, and the supposed history...

"A terrific quality, heavy, antique late Georgian English, solid brass seal, with stylish simple top and its base depicting a rose. Dating from around 1800/10 and in excellent condition throughout with no loss or damage, it weighs 13.0 grams and measures just over an inch tall. The final photo shows it with a US penny (1 cent) coin for scale, which measures 19 mm /

Funny you should post this. Last night I got a phone call from one of my brother's in Kalifornia. He was looking through his, "junk" coins and lo and behold he had a very nice 1914D nickel in the box. He said he never gave it a thought when he found it a couple of years ago.

Critter,at first looks like a chess piece,but the bottom indicates some kind of stamp or seal,nice.A chess set made out of that material would be expensive.My wife surprised me one Christmas with a chess set she bought for me at Harper Ferry's WV. I got a marble chess set from my son the same year,never told my son I got two sets and still have both sets.Chess sets with nice heavy metal pieces are nice and very expensive.Thanks Ron