Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Be neat, be very neat when digging for target:detecting:

Craig

I don't usually post here just do a little lurking. Mostly on the White's or Tesoro forums. But I thought I should let everyone know what happened to me yesterday at the park. I was detecting a park which I go too a lot. Know most of the grounds keepers. They always stop and asked me what I have found today. well it was a little difference yesterday. Groundskeeper drove up to me and told me that a man was demanding that I be Arrested for tearing up the park ! He informed hm that I was doing nothing wrong and stormed off in a huff. We had a good laugh over it we talked for about 10 minutes, he was giving me tips on where all the parents sit when the soccer game is being played. I started detecting again for about 10 minutes when the grounds keeper came back over to me. He told me that the man had call the Parks and recreation Dept and lodged a complaint against me and him. He then told me the Parks director was coming to the park to see what damage I had done.
About 10 minutes later he showed up with his assistant Director. They introduced themselves to me and told me about the complaint they had received. He told me he had been director for 21 years and never had a complaint about metal detecting. I showed him my tools that I use (pinpointer probe, brass probe and hand trowel) I then showed him where I had been digging. He took pictures of covered up holes, my tools, detector, and the trash and coins I was finding. He told me I was a good will ambassador to metal detecting. He told me I was welcome to detect in any park in our city. He did say when he got the call, he was told I was using a shovel and digging large holes. So I guess the moral to the story is : Don't use a shovel in a park and be very careful when digging your plugs !!!!! I should add that he was thankful that I was picking up the trash I was finding.

Sounds Like the A&^ That called in Had a Wood# 4R Metal Detector people N needed a Fix??? Craig i dig U Holes also N put all the trash in my poutch,
I see people that buy wanabe Detectors from Big-5 N Radio shack and go to parks with a #2 ( normal shovel) and dig BIG Holes that give us a Bad name,
But i think wear lucky so far most people dont Detect cozz it takes patines that most people dont have, Mickfin, I hang out on the Beach N Water forum,

wow..glad all is well now,ill be doing some hunting in our parks here soon if weather holds out..:clapping::detecting:

pray for the complainer!..he obviously has issues!

(h.h!)
j.t.

Amen to that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's always great to hear hunters leaving no signs of digging, and showing the Parks and Rec's people the trash they removed from the park...either under the ground or on top.

JC

Do what I do the local Parks & Rec guy at the park where I dig I take him metal detecting he loves it!!!!.And like he says as long as your not leaving a mess he will leave you alone.

I do my double darn best to retrieve targets in parks such that if you aren't beside me when I dig, you'll never notice where I pulled up a target. Some soils make this more difficult than others, but it's always my main effort.
BB

You handled that situation perfectly. Good for you.

There are always folks watching you. I had one call the cops on me for 'destroying the park by digging holes'. I realized that I was in a situation when I saw the sheriff walking over to me. I had just walked off a sports field. He asked me if I had been out detecting on the sports field. I told him yes, that would be me. He then asked if I was digging holes in the field. Told him no, I do not dig holes, I use a probe and pry the target out of the ground. I then asked him if he would like to come and inspect the field for any damage ( as reported). He just looked out over the field and said ' So you are not digging deep holes that people can trip in and get hurt?' I said nope. He then told me that someone had called and reported that someone was digging up the sports field and causing damage and that they had to respond to the call. I said that I understand and he is just doing his job. We then had a very nice conversation on the hobby of metal detecting.

I do not know who called but have some suspicions. Even-though I was not doing anything wrong, someone decided I was and called the cops. I suspect it was one of the homeowners that border the sports field because one of the maintenance workers ( who I talk to all the time) told me one of the homeowners was booted off the field for playing golf. Golfing is not permitted and there are signs stating that it is not permitted. He probably saw me and called the police.

Be aware that someone is always watching so dig neat plugs and replace them so no damage can be seen or use a probe and pry the targets out of the ground.

Happy Hanging

Ray S ECenFL

You couldn't be more correct. I see those guys on youtube using a long handled shovel in parks and other public places. Some of those hunters are very experienced and know the ropes. Even if they are a surgeon with a big shovel it doesn't belong in any park or public area. It just plain looks bad. If they gave permission to a guy to hunt their yard and see him with a big shovel, they would tell him to leave. I would..
Another gripe I have is all the dirt a lot of them spread around in the grass. Can't they keep the dirt right next to the hole? Or better yet - put it on a cloth? There's no way they can get all that dirt back in the hole. If the soil is falling apart I use a cloth. If the soil is moist I squeeze it a little to keep it together if I put in next to the hole on the grass.

Good Job Craig! On another forum, some cat posted pics of his latest find in a city park...He was showing off his detector & a camp shovel he used. I called him on it & got some nasty words from him & another dummy.

If I had my way, you'd hafta pass a test before buying a 'tector! :clapping:

Thanks for your post. We are sure to see more of this. The City Of Portland welcomes all who wish to detect and make no bones about it. The grounds keeper made a comment about this to some of us. We help keep the grounds and plants well aerated and watered. We also make there job easier by removing all the metal junk that we remove. He said it saves the city money on maintenance. Not just the Park, but the equipment.

this is critical,and IF it isn't done,then the ONLY area you will be able to
use your$ 500.00-$1000.00 detector will be your own back yard!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

I started using a thin plastic kitchen table place mat. When I kneel down I can put my knee on the corner (keeps my pants dry) and put any extra dirt I dig under the plug on the mat. When I'm done the mat is flexible so you can funnel the dirt back into the hole and fold the plug back down. Nice and clean.

whatever it takes!..thanks for caring!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

What a sad little person to tell such big lies on somebody. You handled it very well. I learned at an early age if you don't understand what's going on, ask questions.
But, I guess to someone not familiar with our hobby it might have looked different. I'm impressed with the groundskeeper and supervisor for their understanding. I do use a shovel in the woods or old forgotten homesteads, But, I still cover my holes and just hinge the sod where you can't tell I have been there.