Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Beach detecting nehalem oregon

umax

This coming summer I will be in Nehalem for 30 days...Anyone know the laws of beach detecting for this area.

If the beach is State Parks controlled you can most likely detect it but as of now their rules do not allow a sand scoop as an approved digging tool. I have talked with their staff in Salem many times and they still haven't budged; no different than a recreational pale and shovel, clam gun or sand shrimp gun has fallen on deaf ears... frustrating.

You can get all of the information on Oregon State Parks and metal detecting here. http://oregonstateparks.org/index.cfm?do=v.page&id=21

Hey there flysar , thanx for that link. Brought a grin and a groan to my face ! haha. Because I see that Oregon is one of the few states with actual specific ALLOWANCE provisions in their state park's verbiage. As opposed to merely silent on the issue. Ie.: neither expressly allowed, nor expressly prohibited. Oregon, on the other hand, as you've shown, as specific allowance. Albeit riddled with silly restrictions.

And most md'rs seem to LOVE "specific allowances", eh ? Since , to them, it removes all doubt as to where you can or can't, and/or removes the possibility that someone can come up and hassle them, etc.... Right ? Yet as your link shows, they are INVARIABLY riddled with silly-ness and restrictions. I mean, seriously now, what the heck harm will a sand scoop do on the beach ? When as you point out, kids dig in the sand all the time with sand pales that are larger than our sand scoops!

I have a sneaking suspicion that if any md'r shows up with a sandscoop, that he'd be hard-pressed to find anyone who actually cared or said anything to him. You say you "talked to staff" about that, and they wouldn't budge. But I betcha that .... prior to your asking them (and thus appraising them of this "pressing issue"), that they probably would never mentally registered an md'r with a scoop. Ie.: you might have been victim to "... sometimes no one cares ... UNTIL you ask" psychology.

And I groaned at the $100 value thing (kiss all your gold rings goodbye) and the cultural heritage verbiage "historical significance" stuff. I betcha that if you pressed them for a definition, you'd be told it's items 50 yrs. old or older. Ok, kiss those old coins goodbye. Heaven forbid if you found a 1962 penny. And we all know that the state of Oregon places archie rep. commandos at all the beaches, armed with pocket calculators, to do the math on the ages of each coin you find (to make sure doesn't exceed 50 yrs.). So don't even THINK of sticking that silver roosie in your sock . Tsk tsk.

If there were some way to trace the origin of those Oregon laws, I betcha dollars to donuts they probably came about to answer numerous inquiries, from well meaning md'rs, who .... years/decades ago, went asking "can I?" type questions. This was seen, for example, in Utah's policy statements on md'ing their state's parks. They specifically say that the policy is as a result of the numerous inquiries that the dept. receives each year...." So we can all now sit around and pat ourselves on the back, that we got these silly rules, to address our "pressing issue".

I sure hope CA's state parks stays silent on the subject. Things are just fine the way they are :)

Your presumption that noone would probably say anything on some beaches may be correct but because the digging tools are specific I don't want to be that guinea pig. 2 yrs ago my wife and I were camping along the coast and because I was aware of the rule I asked the local park ranger if I could use my scoop on the ocean beach since shovels and buckets were allowed for recreation. He said I could only use a screwdriver, pick, or knife so he was familiar with the rules too.
When I got home I called the State office and asked some questions, offered reasoning, and kindly asked if they were aware that WA allows a 6" scoop on their State Park beaches. They kindly replied that is WA. I also talked to them last month to see if there were going to be any rule changes, answer, none proposed.
Don't know the history behind it just the rules.

Tom_in_CA said:
Hey there flysar , thanx for that link. Brought a grin and a groan to my face ! haha. Because I see that Oregon is one of the few states with actual specific ALLOWANCE provisions in their state park's verbiage. As opposed to merely silent on the issue. Ie.: neither expressly allowed, nor expressly prohibited. Oregon, on the other hand, as you've shown, as specific allowance. Albeit riddled with silly restrictions.

And most md'rs seem to LOVE "specific allowances", eh ? Since , to them, it removes all doubt as to where you can or can't, and/or removes the possibility that someone can come up and hassle them, etc.... Right ? Yet as your link shows, they are INVARIABLY riddled with silly-ness and restrictions. I mean, seriously now, what the heck harm will a sand scoop do on the beach ? When as you point out, kids dig in the sand all the time with sand pales that are larger than our sand scoops!

I have a sneaking suspicion that if any md'r shows up with a sandscoop, that he'd be hard-pressed to find anyone who actually cared or said anything to him. You say you "talked to staff" about that, and they wouldn't budge. But I betcha that .... prior to your asking them (and thus appraising them of this "pressing issue"), that they probably would never mentally registered an md'r with a scoop. Ie.: you might have been victim to "... sometimes no one cares ... UNTIL you ask" psychology.

And I groaned at the $100 value thing (kiss all your gold rings goodbye) and the cultural heritage verbiage "historical significance" stuff. I betcha that if you pressed them for a definition, you'd be told it's items 50 yrs. old or older. Ok, kiss those old coins goodbye. Heaven forbid if you found a 1962 penny. And we all know that the state of Oregon places archie rep. commandos at all the beaches, armed with pocket calculators, to do the math on the ages of each coin you find (to make sure doesn't exceed 50 yrs.). So don't even THINK of sticking that silver roosie in your sock . Tsk tsk.

If there were some way to trace the origin of those Oregon laws, I betcha dollars to donuts they probably came about to answer numerous inquiries, from well meaning md'rs, who .... years/decades ago, went asking "can I?" type questions. This was seen, for example, in Utah's policy statements on md'ing their state's parks. They specifically say that the policy is as a result of the numerous inquiries that the dept. receives each year...." So we can all now sit around and pat ourselves on the back, that we got these silly rules, to address our "pressing issue".

I sure hope CA's state parks stays silent on the subject. Things are just fine the way they are :)

flysar said:
.... so he was familiar with the rules too....

Perhaps. And perhaps he was even diligent (ie.: that he really cares) and dutifully monitors the beach for any (gasp) sand scoops. Yes perhaps you didn't "swat a hornet's nest" and yes "perhaps he was familiar already".

Let's grant for a moment this is the case. But how do you think he was probably made aware of this minutia ? Maybe YOU didn't bring a "pressing issue" to him for the "safe technical answer". But well-meaning sincere md'rs prior to that , showing up at kiosks, send people digging through dusty minutia.

I know I know, there's nothing you/I/we can do to "change the past". Ie.: if a rule *truly* exists now, and is "truly" enforced and cared about and common knowledge, .... then we are stuck with the consequences. But we can put the warning out for people elsewhere "don't swat hornet's nests".

Policies and rules come into being, often time when some bureaucrat (especially purist archie's in this case) get "pressing issues" crossing their desk. And if they perceive silence on an issue (or a "grey" area), they can have a stroke of genius to "invent/write policies/rules", to address such lacks. I betcha that's what happened @ Oregon. Bummer for you guys.

I carry puppy poop bags and use a T-Rex pooper scoop to clean up after negligent and rogue mammals who pollute the beach. I also pick up non-indigenous toxic metals which could pose a danger to endangered species and or pose a danger to bare footed beach-goers cutting their feet. I have some rusty nails and screws, can slaw and fish hooks in my belt mounted trash bin. Any possible items of "historical significance" are taken to the lab for identification and cataloging with an eye to returning to original loser.

I do use a scoop and that's the way it is. This is more government and state restrictions on things that have nothing too do with anything.
Think of it this way , when they clean and rake the beach with the beach cleaning equipment and sift the sand who gets to keep all the goodies???

tarajudy said:
I do use a scoop and that's the way it is. ....

What ?? In Oregon on their state beaches ? Ok, I'll bite: How many times have you been arrested ? Too many to count, I'm certain. Right ?

1)Figure out the laws.(Lexus/Nexus and other online sites which will include most fed/state/local laws)
2)Decide if you want to run the risk.
3)Do whatever you want depending on your own evaluation of Risk v Reward.

DO NOT encourage others to break the law; that is morally reprehensible imo.
Blissful ignorance is a lot different from knowingly breaking the law.
And if you think the law is Stupid, get off your lazy butt & fn change it instead of just complaining about it.

Or, I guess we could all just do whatever we want whenever we want. You know, join the Snowflake Generation.

Hey, someone else said they use a sandscoop. So it was them advocating the reprehensible breaking of laws.

As for "risk" (of consequences), you say that a person could evaluate the risk. And so too was I wondering what the "risk" is for this. And a way to know is to tally the # of convictions (arrests, tickets, confiscations, etc....). So ..... anyone got an example of someone facing a ticket for this in Oregon ?

Wasn't referring to anyone in particular, Tom. And I wasn't referring to you specifically. I realize that things are different on the west coast and have tried to stay out of this thread (really, I have tried very hard). At any rate, I think we agree anyway on some key points:
1- do your research and know the law; asking can cause problems (and not just for the asker)
2- forgiveness is better than permission in the absence of any law
3-if you don't like it, work to change it. it is still America (again, the west coast may differ from my experiences here).

I just get So tired sometimes of the whining that it isn't Right, the same old arguments + all the suppositions and circular arguments people use to justify doing things they know(or strongly suspect) that they shouldn't be doing. Again, I am not referring to anyone's post in this thread- please don't take it as such.