Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Beach Geology and detecing Part 1

D-Tex

I named this post that due to the lack of any better I can think of and indeed that is what I want
to address. Any beach is a very geologically active environment, Wind, waves, currents, mankind
all interact with them all day every day and as a result a beach is in motion from one or more of
these forces. Sometimes the motions are so slight as to be unnoticed by us, at other times they
are forceful enough that we can see the wind moving it as it pick's up the sand from one location
and deposit's it in a different one. Winds blowing across a desert in Africa are carried across the
Atlantic Ocean to the U.S. on a regular basis. Storm's of all size's from every direction generate
wave's of every size also ( they work hand and hand ) and churn the water into one of the most
destructive forces known to man. Even on the rare days when there is no wind and waves there
are currents at work moving ton's and ton's of the beach even if we can't see it in action. But
sometimes we can see it at work if we just look close enough.

So what's my point you ask? My point is as we walk a beach and observe it, we only see what
is the surface. We can see where the wind has removed part of the dune's or where the waves
have cut down at the tide line, if there has been a large storm we see where it can and often will
remove large amounts of the beach and carry it inland or just the opposite and drag it out and
deposit it offshore. MOST of the time we are unable to see what the BASE of the beach looks
like, but more important, and what I think is the profile of this base. This base layer can be a
combination of rock, or clay but not much of anything else, other wise it would be washed away
by the above forces, and indeed sometimes even a base of rock or clay can be removed by it.

It is this base's PROFILE that when( looked at in the direction the beach runs) that should be of
great interest to anyone that detects it. This profile will not be flat like the surface we normally
look at. True there can be area's that can be an exception but most surfaces in nature are not.
Forces that formed that base surface was not that kind to it, it will have hole's or troughs, small
and large and a multitude of other irregular blebs that make up it's surface that will trap anything
small enough to fit into them. Unless some force strong enough to remove the layer of sand that
covers it, and even then it may still hold it, only to be recovered by more sand later.

As stated in my header this is part one, I have to stop and take care of a different matter for now
but will continue with this later.

I'm liking it so far! :thumbup:

I look around and try to tell if this offshore location has some merit based upon what the inshore beach/land looks like. For instance, we have big dunes here, some are pretty active, with people climbing, then running down them...so immediately offshore is where they dive in to cool off...everything/structure onshore tells us what could be going on at this place, and the deeper a guy can "see" a place, the better....nice work!
Mud

I left out in part 1 that these troughs or holes will be formed across the width of the beach not length wise
but it is possible for some to be cut into the base that way during a major storm but would be rare.

The next important factor is the depth of the sand that is covering the base. Here is where some work
will be involved. Any detector can only punch down just so deep, this fact must be remembered, how
deep will depend on a lot of factors but I think it's safe to say for the detection of ring size objects 24"
by a PI machine with a coil at least 12" to 18" ( I would feel better using a 14" to18" ) mono if the ground
and EMI will allow it. I have a MineLab SD2200d and use coils from 11" 14" and 18" when and as needed.
So the first thing to determine if you want to hunt the base of the beach is to determine if the base is
within range of your equipment, if it is not, you are not getting into the best pay layer. We'll get into what,
why and where about the finds we all have been finding a little later.

You can just about forget a shovel because the sand will cave in as fast as you can throw it out of your
hole, even if its only a foot or so deep, it will also fill up with water at the same time. There is a better
method with less work
A 36" length of 2" PVC sch. 40 pipe cut on one end at an angle a flat top steel pip cap with the threads cut
down enough for it to slip over the end of the pipe to protect it while driving it down un-tell its to the base or
ANY OTHER layer be it clay, shells, or whatever, that is DENSER than gold that the sand is covering.
A 1 1/4" wood bit welded onto a 36" rod with a tee handle to turn it will remove the sand from the pipe
so you can stick some kind of measuring device down it to determine the depth. If more than 24", move
and repeat until you find the workable depth.

If you really want to get an idea as to what the profile of the base is, drive your first pipe, then walk up
or down the beach the same distance from the water and drive a second pipe and repeat this until you
have covered 50 or 100 yards or how ever far you want to profile. use paper to draw a scale on left margin
0 to 36" and across marked at what ever distance to drove the rest of the pipes, connect the dots and that
will give you a good idea of the profile of that section of beach. You can do more rows if you want more
detail.

Lets look at this a little differently. Platinum and Gold will be the densest things you will find, Gold is almost
twice as heavy as lead and platinum is more than twice what lead is, they both will keep sinking until they
come to rest on a surface that is denser that they are or to a depth of dirt or sand that is COMPACTED to
a density greater than them ( you can forget about that on any beach ). Now lets look at how rings are shaped
and how coins are. A ring being hollow in the center has less mass than even a dime because the dime is a
solid slug, a gold ring has a higher density than any coin, so it will sink farther and faster in any medium than
any coin will. Now factor in the fact that that bed of sand that is covering the base, contains a lot of water, this
reduces it's density even more, to the point that there are many items that sink in it rather fast ( as in quicksand,
or on some beaches with a course sand matrix as some of those in Fla. have ). All items that have a density
greater than that sand will sink down through it, the heaver the object is the faster and deeper it will sink.

That is why you should be interested in how deep the base is under the area of beach you want to hunt is.

Ring tabs, foil of any kind, and that sort of thing almost float on the sand due to there light weigh, and are
moved and removed during high storm waves. Coins probably not as much, and rings will only go deeper
unless the sand they are in is pulled out by the storm current and waves, but not always, some will be pushed
farther up the beach and be covered up and left there to work ever deeper over the years if given a chance.

The beaches on the east coast have been exposed to people for a very long time now, any thing that dropped
by them has had time enough to reach the base layer of those beaches, the other beaches it the U.S. have
not had that much exposure so there is not quite as much at there base but modern man has had far more
to loose than those that settled it so there is enough to go around now in spite of that.

If you are a serious beach detector give this post some thinking time and see if what I have presented has
any place in your hunting plans

Comments or questions welcome, that's how we learn

Excellent observations! It may seem obvious when you stop and think about it, but unless you practice those methods at the beach you are hunting you won't get to the base layer where the heavier objects have come to rest over time. I will add your advice to my search methods and refine my technique to include your recommendations. Thanks for your time!

The depth to the base layer can change due to different forces quicker than people think

and should be checked after any major storm, tides that are above normal, or cold fronts.

You may find it covered with 6"s one day and a few days or a week later it could have 3 ft.

on it. Some of the beaches I hunt have posts with warning signs near rock groins to help

stop erosion and more than a few people have nail's in them marked so they can tell there's

from the others so they can tell at a glance if the base is deeper or shallower than when

they was there the last time. These post are set close to the high tide line for the most part

and work real good as long as you hunt that same section of beach on a regular basis.

Find something like that in your area, it helps keep tabs on any changes going on.