Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

beach help

Ok I got to go beach hunting for the second time. And for the good stuff I found on the first hunt I made up for it in bottle caps, tent stakes and other junk the second hunt.. I would like some help on understanding the beaches. The first beach had a very linear slope to it. My best hunting was when the tide was on its way out and most of what I found was from ankle deep to waist deep in the water. The second beach was a very different animal. The slope was very concave. At high tide it was a steep drop off. At low tide you could walk out a long ways and be fairly shallow walking. Where the first beach was fairly uniform the second beach was not. At low tide it seemed that the finer sand was higher up on the beach. As you got down to the lower part of the concave section the sand got more course to the point there would be a drop off that was mainly seashells and such. Past this drop off and into the flats the sand was very undulated probably a foot difference peak to valley. The few targets I did find were very crusty clad mid way up the concave section. Pull tabs were mainly on the shelf of sea shells. And I only found one new dime and a couple bottle caps in the undulated sand knee deep. So I am turning to the experts to help understand what the sand is doing here and where you would hunt. Is that undulated sand pushed up onto the beach at high tide and pulled into the flats at low tide? When I went to the beach at high tide I do know that shelf of seashells was up toward the top as well, seems it moves in and out with the tide. I am guessing that not much would be found in the undulated sand as it is shifting and anything heavy probably decends out of reach with a detector.

Thanks for your time

claytargethntr

I did find one silver ear ring (marked 925) and one ring (guessing stainless marked 316L not sure what that means), and some clad.

claytargethntr

I don't know where your beach is but it sounds like you get a lot of wave action. That undulating or rippled bottom you describe is something I avoid here on the west coast of Florida. It usually indicates new sand that has been deposited by the waves and currents.

Look at the grain size and bottom composition. Soft, fine-grain or fluffy sand is better left alone because it is fresh deposit.

That large grain sand, lots of shells, hard bottom is a GOOD spot because the waves have taken out the fresh sand.