Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Beach hunting and bottle caps

Jason in TN

Played with the new Deus in the dry sand at the beach this week a little bit. Using the beach dry sand mode and the beach wet sand mode closer to the water. The thing is I could not tell how to tell a Beer cap from a good target looking for tips. Changed over the 4kh mode to try it made no difference. Any info from you beach hunting guys would be appreciated.

Jason

I use the DRY SAND program at 18K for the dry sand. I don't know if it's a learned ability (I think not) but bottle crown caps sound so different from quarters (who's ID of 94 or 95 they share most times). The difference is a halting rough sound entwined with the normally sweet sound of a quarter. Try this: drop a half dozen quarters in a line about a foot apart each...and then do the same with a half dozen caps. It should become very obvious. [ I'll have to double check my DRY SAND program to see if I could have modified something else..because I do remember that early on I also had difficulties recognizing crown caps]

Part 2...I actually did this for a few months and hunted the super trashy spots using DRY SAND with the 4K frequency. Quarters come in at this frequency with ID's of 85 to 87. Crown caps come in at 92 to 96. So if you use your high tone setting of about 91...then all highs are bottle caps. It's a bit counter intuitive but works well. IF you want a challenge you could assign very low tones to everything above, say 91. I found hundreds of coins and a few jewelry bits using the 4K.

Hope this helps. The DEUS is a beautiful machine! (and NOT just from a looks perspective!) HH Joe

DrJoeprime said:
I use the DRY SAND program at 18K for the dry sand. I don't know if it's a learned ability (I think not) but bottle crown caps sound so different from quarters (who's ID of 94 or 95 they share most times). The difference is a halting rough sound entwined with the normally sweet sound of a quarter. Try this: drop a half dozen quarters in a line about a foot apart each...and then do the same with a half dozen caps. It should become very obvious. [ I'll have to double check my DRY SAND program to see if I could have modified something else..because I do remember that early on I also had difficulties recognizing crown caps]

Part 2...I actually did this for a few months and hunted the super trashy spots using DRY SAND with the 4K frequency. Quarters come in at this frequency with ID's of 85 to 87. Crown caps come in at 92 to 96. So if you use your high tone setting of about 91...then all highs are bottle caps. It's a bit counter intuitive but works well. IF you want a challenge you could assign very low tones to everything above, say 91. I found hundreds of coins and a few jewelry bits using the 4K.

Hope this helps. The DEUS is a beautiful machine! (and NOT just from a looks perspective!) HH Joe

Joe this was my first time out ever with it and I am sure with time I will figure it out. So it is the sound I am going to use not the ID. Will work on that.

Thanks

Jason

In my soil the steel cap will give an iron grunt when sweeping and moving off the edge of the target ... a coin will trail off with a hi pitch (normally) with no iron grunt. You will get the hang of the sound.

Same thing here, Terry. If I back off that just the tip of the coil is sensing the target, a coin still rings with a high tone whereas a bottle cap will give an iron tone.

Terry(Mi) said:
In my soil the steel cap will give an iron grunt when sweeping and moving off the edge of the target ... a coin will trail off with a hi pitch (normally) with no iron grunt. You will get the hang of the sound.

Same here, noticed the sound of a coin falls off faster than a cap or trash also. Doing this in an X pattern will usually tell me also as a coin doesn't move, but trash sometimes will be an inch or so different in locations.

I have discovered that bottle caps are not consistent in ID like a quarter, they tend to bounce from 92-94 where a quarter stays at 92 (12K frequency). I still dig some, but not as many.