Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Beach hunting

Lodihunter

Went metal detecting on the beach for the first time this week. Unfortunately, I came up empty handed. I put my MXT pro on salt and set all of the presets. NOTHING!! I'm just wondering if any of you veterans can give me a few pointers so next time doesn't turn into another bust. Thanks!

I run C&J and stay on the dry sand. MXT is not the best wet sand machine.

[size=large]there's always the chance it's an empty beach and not you or your machine.

HH[/size]

Yeah... It was a beach on Catalina Island that is used for students to visit and snorkel. Was hopin' for some rare Spanish medallion worth millions. Thanks for the advice!!!!

I can run with very high gain in the dry sand, but the wet sand requires you to turn it down. I don't remember or don't pay close attention to where I set the gain in the wet sand, just turn it down until it settles down a bit. Take a few test coins with you to the beach and run a few quick tests to determine the best setup. Hope this helps.

I've been to the very busy beaches of the Jersey shore and getting dead silence is not unusual. From time to time I'd test the coil against metal to make sure my MXT was working. One 4 hour hunt netted 16 bottle caps (Bud beat Corona in that contest) and two zincolns.
The MXT was hitting the caps at 10-12" with the 6X10 coil easily. The showed as deep quarters/dimes. With few targets its easy to dig everything anyway.
I'm sure there are some nice finds just out of reach in the surf. Just the same, Good luck!!

I already got the Spanish medallion worth millions off that beach but I did leave a silver mercury dime for the next guy. You mean you didn't find it?:unsure: