Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

beach hunting

A WOT or a 15x12 will for sure help to increase coverage speed over large beaches. I use the 12x10 and it's still a nice improvement in coverage over the stock 10" coil. You can walk at a somewhat more normal pace without having to hold your steps back. Had I been primarily a beach hunter I would have kept the 15x12 but I mostly land hunt for old coins and find the 12x10 is more suited for this.

i use a 15inch wot coil for the beach on a straight shaft and hipmount the control box so theres no weight issuse. this coil will not be coming off in a hurry unless coiltec makes improvements to future wot coils. this coil has paid for itself over and over. my mate use's the sef 15x12 on a gt and also does ok on the beach so if you are thinking of buying a sef or wot but cant decide which model then throw a coin in the air and whatever side it lands on you can be sure your still on a winner. mike

The 15" wot is a great coil on the beach.....coupled to the sov you're always going to be onto a winner.

Will be taking the GT/WOT combot on it's maiden voyage to the NJ shore this weekend. Will keep you posted as to the results. We are pretty sanded in, but hopefully the WOT can sniff out a few goodies in the wet sand.

looks like will get the coil now cant make mind up the wot or the sef now think it will toss a coin and see lol

i've heard issues of the 15x12 SEF coil not having a long enough cable to connect to the control box when hip/chest mounted, is that true? anyway to rectify this?

Lineweed said:
i've heard issues of the 15x12 SEF coil not having a long enough cable to connect to the control box when hip/chest mounted, is that true? anyway to rectify this?

the earliest ones had the shorter cables. if you buy one used, makes sure and ask how long it is. The newer ones are about 7' long, plenty enough for chest mounting and wading.

I just got a 15 wot last week and love it..... Cover so much more ground even going slower... I put my 10 back on today to go to a park, then went to the beach and couldn't believe how slow I was moving....

A 10" coil has an area of 78 sq. in.
A 15" coil has and area of 176 sq. in.

10" coil volume with depth of 8" is 628 cu. in
15" coil volume with depth of 8"is 1414 cu. in...

Quite a difference in area scanned on each pass... A coil that is 50% larger diameter over doubles the coverage area....... And theoretically is will see deeper than the 10"...

i've bought a Sov with a 15x12 SEF coil for the beach... the area i hunt will be approx 3km, with high traffic and iron trash - pretty torn between the advantage of good coverage and disadvantage of trash and finds scattered close to each other. any thoughts?

Trash is always a problem no matter what coil you have, just sometimes you can tell straight away it's trash without digging.

Finds scattered close to each other can be sorted via swinging at different angles around the target(s) and using pinpoint also. I am sure the advantages out weigh the disadvantages but no one coil will do everything so its a case of deciding how you want to detect and knowing the area you are detecting on.

In your position i would use the SEF to cover the area and it you were having problems just switch to a smaller coil (Most coils can be tied to a back pack if you are a distance from your vehicle :happy: or leave that area and come back later with the different coil.

Paul...

The 15x12 will do pretty well at left/right seperation. Wiggle the tip at targets and it's got a real laser like detection line to sniff out targets next to iron and stuff.