Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Beach Legal ?

rog007

I have never been beach hunting, what are the rules, and are there any off limits ? I will be going to north Myrtle beach, I read they have some new rules about metal detecting, can any one help me on my first outing there. Want to be legal and not give another reason to be aganst our sport. Oh by the way I could not find a sand shark, guess Tesoro is not making them anymore, I got a Whites Surfmaster DF:clapping: I hope it will be here today Thanks for your help.

I hunt that beach all the time. Never had a problem. Call the Myrtle Beach police Dept. they may require to get a permit to make holes in their sand.:clapping:

I get there to hunt about one week a year; sometimes two. Stay off the dunes, otherwise have fun and fill your holes.

A google search turns up Myrtle Beach frequently asked questions but nothing specific about North Myrtle Beach (although I suspect they are very similar about beach rules):

"Q: What are the rules about metal detecting on the beach?

A: Metal detecting is allowed on the beach, but it is illegal to climb or walk on the sand dunes or to break or damage any beach grass. Violations may be subject to penalties of up to $500 and/or 30 days in jail. Metal detecting is NOT allowed in city parks or on other city property."

Just to be safe hunt below the high tide water line. Property below that line is fair game. Look it up . Nobody has rights below that.

crusher28 said:
I hunt that beach all the time. Never had a problem. Call the Myrtle Beach police Dept. they may require to get a permit to make holes in their sand.:clapping:
You don't need a permit to hunt Myrtle. The best place to hunt on Myrtle beach is near the more ritzy hotels.

Don't hunt near anyone on a towel as you will make yourself a pest. Keep away from the really good looking women. They hate it when a guy keeps staring at them while swinging something near them ( I mean your detector!).

Hunt the beach and chair area early in the am while others are still in bed or getting ready for the day---then hunt the water--the water is fair game for all and you will not be bothering them if you are close to others, just use common sense. Pretend your on something when around nice looking women, they always start talking to me when i do this.HH

thanks everybody, wow didnt think I was going to get a reply there for a while, WHEEW! boy did I get a reply, again thanks everbody, by the way my surfmaster dual field came today:clapping:

You got even more replies, but mysteriously, many of them "disappeared" today because apparently they didn't suit someone with the power to delete them.

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. Perhaps because some posts contained the word J*rk? I can understand how that would be dis-allowed. But if it was d/t the actual principle being discussed (whether or a person should inquire every time he goes out anywhere), then no, I don't understand why isn't a relevevant topic .......... as that does bedevil us all at times (ie.: "can I do such & such?" etc....). Oh well, I certainly wouldn't want the job of being a moderator, as it's certainly a thankless job at times.

My reply didn't have that word or any other words that should have gotten it pulled. I say again, don't ask permission, look on city websites and if it is not specifically banned then just go detecting. Do not go weaving through the people trying to enjoy the beach, go early in the morning or late in the afternoon or night. Use the busy parts of the day to OBSERVE where the most potential will be. If we start asking permission that will give the powers that be the idea that permission is REQUIRED and before you know it we will be having to get permits and pay FEES.

rog007 said:
I have never been beach hunting, what are the rules, and are there any off limits ?

After hunting North Myrtle Beach you may be asking about other areas. National parks are nearly all off limits. If you go to the Outer Banks, Nags Head beach and north are OK to hunt but south end of Nags Head where the National Park starts and south throughout the park is off limits.

State and local beaches all vary in their rules. Best to check first.

And if you must "check", check for your self. Don't go asking a desk-bound bureaucrat, lest you get someone to morph something silly to apply to your "pressing question" (like "don't disturb the sandcrabs", etc....) There's hardly a public entity around these days (city, county, state, etc...) that doesn't have their municipal codes on-line. Do a key word search under terms like "metal detectors", etc... If it's silent on the issue, well then ......... so be it! i guess it must not be dis-allowed :)

When in doubt, I just drop by the local Police Dept and ask a cop/deputy if there is any law/ordinance on detecting on public property. Remember their name so you can drop it later if challenged by some one with a stick in their neither regions. I have always been treated very well and always cautioned to refill holes and not not be Stupid.

The key here is not to ask for permission, but to ask if there is a law against it.

(sorry for the late reply, but i am planning on a myrtle beach trip and searched relevant threads)

Absolutely right, Jim. A person's character is defined by what he does when he thinks no one is looking at his actions.