Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Beach MDing in New Jersey

TJPHILLY2

I am new metal detecting and am trying to figure out just what the law in the State of New Jersey is regarding the use of metal detectors on beaches.

I just read the law that was recently passed in New Jersey. It is so broad that I was left with more questions than answers after reading it.

Basically, it says that one cannot dig for things that are archiological artifacts.

Ok, so just what IS an archilogical artifact?

Who decides this? How do I know that a target is an archiological artifact before I can even see what it is?

Is a 1955 silver dime an archiological artifact?

Also, what does the New Jersey Law mean to beach hunting?

These are also covered in the law so far as I can tell, as the law mentions public areas that are under the control of municipalities and counties.

Most beaches in NJ are under municipal control...can someone tell me if it is still OK to metal detect on NJ beaches?

I grew up in Wildwood, NJ and was planning to go down there for a few days to do some beach hunting.

What are the ins and out of this?

Tim

Since they snuck those laws into effect, I haven't seen any less hunters at the beaches. You'll have plenty of company hunting WildWood, have fun.

Thanks for the information.

There are a few other places that I'd like to go to: There is a stretch of beach in Fortescue, NJ but that one is under direct State control - don't know what the deal there is.

Really, in reading the New Jersey Law, it's so damn technical with all sorts of terms and such that are open to interpretation that the metal detectorist would have to be both a lawyer and an archiologist to really understand its practical application.

Thanks!!

Tim