Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

beach/water hunting

A

Anonymous

I am going to buy a underwater detector, I must decide what size coil to get, a 8 or 10.5 inch.
Is there a signifigant more drag in the water with the 10.5? Is it worth the extra money just to get a little more depth? Is the 10.5 too heavy?
What do you water hunters use?
Your advice is appreciated.
Jay

Depends on the bottom of the water area where you are hunting as retrieving targets can be a chore. Both being open coils work well in the water and the 10 1/2 covers a lot more area, but would find pinpointing easier in the water with an 8 as reflecting water rays take some getting used to when retrieving.

So I use a 10.5" coil on my CZ-20. This way, I cover more area. I'm not really worried about depth, as most targets are fresh-drops here.
Pinpointing underwater is a true test of skill. I don't worry about "seeing" my pinpoint location. I got my sound and feel. I use a modified "X-Style" of pinpointing. I move the coil left-to-right over the target, SLOWLY, and narrow down the distance moved as I get a beep in my headphones. Once I'm getting a sound when I'm only moving an inch or less (this is where the drag in the water actually helps), I'll start moving my coil forwards-and-back, again narrowing the distance down as I get a sound. Once I have that axis done, I may give the target a left-right-forward-back movement, and if I get a sound without moving the coil very far (an inch or less), then I have the target "bracketed". I place my coil down on the bottom over the target. Then, I move my left foot towards the coil, until my toe touches the coil. I move the coil over to my right side, and place my scoop on top of my foot, with the tip of the bucket angled down into the sand. I start pushing it into the bottom with my hand, but remove my left foot and use that foot to drive my scoop into the bottom, in a down-and-forward motion, while at the same time pulling the handle back towards me. I then pull the scoop up to the surface to filter the bottom-material out and see if I got the target. This takes a bit of practice, as you can't see what you're doing.
HH from Allen in MI