Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Bearkat this is for you

Reg

Hi Bearkat,

I have a few questions for you now since you are a GPX owner and I hope you will answer them. First, are you a ML dealer? Are you a multi line dealer?

When you made your videos, didn't you say you adjusted the GB a little on the ATX to provide the best results?

When you made the mono video, were you aware prior to seeing the results that the larger buried nugget would display a serious loss of depth or disappear when using a specific timing on the GPX?

Have you run through the timings to see if the very large nugget you are yet to test to see if it disappears or displays a serious signal loss?

Are you or were you aware that using the wrong timings would cause nuggets to seem to disappear and if so, what size or range of nuggets could you expect this to happen on when using the GPX? If you are aware, did any of the ML literature specifically provide this information.

Steve is correct, I am woefully ignorant on the GPX and I suspect I am not the only one. Therefore I am curious just how well known this "hole" effect is and if most serious GPX owners are really aware of it like Steve says. Do you feel GPX owners are aware of it? Personally, the only place I have ever seen any information relating to this condition was on a forum located in OZ and they took a beating verbally for providing it. I can't believe that attitude has changed since I have never heard the issue discussed on any forum. Have you seen this issue discussed in depth before on any other forum?

Thanks in advance for your cooperation. I am sure I will have more questions in the future.

Reg

Hi Reg,

Good questions man...First question, I am not a Minelab Dealer...If you see Minelab for sell on my website it is all through Amazon.com as I am an Amazon Associate. It is a great program to have great products availiable to people with the killer Amazon check out, shipping and support. I use an Amazon E-Commerce site script that I purchased that is very powerful. I get about 5-7% on each product sold. These include Fisher, Minelab, and Tesoro but not Garrett.

On only one of my videos that I did not ground balance to 100% as I kept the ATX a little "hot". But all other vids I completed the ground balance.

Yes; I was aware of the Minelab GPX 5000 would loose depth on the bigger nugget, I wanted to show this purposely on video.

As far as the big 5 oz nugget, yes it looses depth also on different timings, I have that video on Youtube now, but it is not public yet (waiting for that last one to wear off). In this video I had an opportunity to flick the 5000 on that setting to show it, but instead I just commented that it will loose depth also. I don't know why I did not put it on that setting on video, I think I was just in a hurry to get it done. But I can get it on video. (after the 8" of snow melts). But in that video there is a bit of difference between normal and sensitive extra also that is noticeable, but not enough to miss it. As Steve said, it is not named properly, that mode, or was it JP who said that? Can't rememeber now... Its not really made for the deep stuff.

Your main question: ""Are you or were you aware that using the wrong timings would cause nuggets to seem to disappear and if so, what size or range of nuggets could you expect this to happen on when using the GPX? If you are aware, did any of the ML literature specifically provide this information."" --- Yes; I knew of this performance of the GPX 5000 before doing the vids. A guy made me aware of it a year and a half ago out in the field. Also here is an Aussie guys response about it: ""I particularly liked your demo showing how the GPX 5000 will/can miss the larger not so deep nuggs when it is set up for small nuggs.:thumbup: Most of the ML pros are aware of that but you won't hear them talking about it very often.......Denial I guess""

No I did not get this info directly from Minelab...but it is kinda implied in their picture of the timings graph? Maybe...but seeing it on video is more shocking than a little graph explaining what the timings are best for.
Does this Minelab graph show that switching timings will degrade another target at other depths? Looks to me they say, these timings are for more severe mineral ground...

[attachment 280148 addon-1.php.jpeg]

So it's known but is almost like "taboo" to talk about it. Why did I make such a big deal about it? Well to basically make Garrett's advertising about the ATX true or false. They either are right or will stick there foot in their mouths.
See Garrett's spec sheet about the ATX below. When I first saw it I was like, what are they talking about?...then I realized it was the GPX detectors. And I wanted to prove it right or wrong. Seems they are right...

[attachment 280147 addon.php.jpeg]

Thanks for your contribution to this board Reg, as well as Steve's...both being invaluable to all of us, with two different perspectives on the same subject.

Bearkat

Hi Bearkat,

First, I would like to say, I didn't know you were a dealer, but even if I did, I never saw what I would say was any clear bias on your part. What you did might have been partially staged to display certain features of the ATX or weaknesses of the GPX, but that can only happen if the limitations of the second detector are valid. Besides, your expanation of proving or validating Garrett's statement was interesting.

BTW, there is a discussion over on an Aussie forum (Finders) about the ATX doing better on small gold than the other PI. Someone told me about it so I visited the site. I should know better than post anything over there because I am always called a ML hater. Oh well.......

I appreciate your honesty and straightforwardness in answering my questions. I have to say it is a refreshing change. You have to realize I believe people should have all the facts when evaluating a detector and especially when listening to what a person has to say. If propaganda is the response, it will ultimately be determined and those responsible lose credibility.

Now, my next questions I am sure people would like answers to is if you have found any weaknesses or issues on the ATX that concern you or might concern someone else? I am like people who would like to know as much as possible about a detector before making a decision and right now, you are the man with the answers about the ATX. It sure beats finding out things that bug them afterwards.

So, feel free to tell us what you don't like as well as those things you do see as benefits. I realize it is still early in the game and much has to be learned, but if there is a skeleton in the closet it will surface eventually.

One more thing, my recommendation to you is to let people know on the future videos you are a Garrett dealer but you are trying to do your best to clearly demonstrate things you feel are important, good and bad.

Had you compared the ATX to the TDI , I might have jumped in with explanations where necessary. The TDI is a great detector and is one that I use, but I will be the first to state that it isn't perfect. You also have to realize the TDI is 5+ years old and that is old in technology years.

So, now I am hoping you post much more, both good and bad about the ATX.

Reg

Alan has to tread a fine line here as he is not a sponsoring dealer so outright identification in his videos would be seen as ads and result in them being deleted.

Steve,

Thanks for that clarification as to why Alan can't state he is a dealer on the videos. His videos are more important than being put in jepardy of not being able to post them here.

Thanks for the clarification. People should understand now should the issue be brought up again.

Reg

Reg, As far as weaknesses it could be a personal thing like some Steve pointed out...like weight, coil cable hook up, water proof unnecessary, etc...none of which bother me, A lb lighter would be nice but it is built like a tank. Two things that I noticed is it is not as deep as the GPX 5000 on total depth possibilities. But that is why you pay $3500 more for the 5000. Also, the mono coil was a bit noisier when I hunted with it one time, but I suspect now that I took it off that the coil, the connector was loose. This happened to me with the stock coil one time where it was real noisy,but I did not tighten the coil connector enough...once I did, it got very quiet. I will double check this with the mono coil next time I use it.

As far as telling people about selling in my videos, Steve's answer was perfect.

Bearkat