Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Belt Fed 5.56 machine gun

GregD475

Found lots of spent blank 5.56 military brass and disintegrating links to a belt fed machine gun in a county recreational area. The cartridge has an elongated nose and looks like the end would have been filled with paper. All the 5.56 rounds I have seen were crimped and shorter. I have asked several military vets and they have only seen the crimped blanks. Does anyone know when these would have been used.

Also this area has been a recreational area since the 1970, prior to that it is was residential.

Maybe that type works better running through a SAW than the shorter version. My best guess

M60 machine gun blank, 7.62 Cal, that's the style we used when I was in the infantry.
74-77

Thanks for the help figured it was used in the seventies. Now I need to figure out when they had war games in the park. Or they had bigger deer back then

Where?

They were found in a county park in Genesee County Michigan in an area that is not too easily assessable to the public. The Chief Ranger for the parks had no knowledge of any military being it that area in the past several years.

The M60 Machine Gun was introduced in 1957 so those blank shell casing could have been deposited long ago.

I was also in the Air Force Military police and shot thousands of those blanks. M-60 for sure. The belt that held them together was spring steel and thats why its rusted.

Yeap that's a link of M60 machine gun blanks scubadetector. Ims this is what 5.56 blanks and rounds look like with a wheat penny for compairson.

These could be 7.62. They look exactly like scubadetectors photo. I just assumed they were 5.56 with a long neck. I appreciate all the feed back. Thanks