Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Besides cost, why do you use the Sovereign rather than the Explorer?

A

Anonymous

I'm just curious.
I've used the Explorer XS since 1999 and a Minelab Muskateer Advantage among others (SD2200d) etc.
So for those of you who have used an Explorer and a Sovereign, why did you quit using the Explorer in favor of the Sovereign?

Tony,
There may be many reasons while some went from the Sovereign to the Explorer and now back to the Sovereign. I use them both myself and find they are both great detectors. I find I get more coins versas trash with the Sovereign than I do with the Explorer. I find the Explorer has seen some the Sovereign can not either. I find the Sovereigns tones are so much easier to hear for many of us with bad hearing as the tone will change and the treshold will stay of the tone of the last target. With the Explorer sometimes the tone changes so fast and back to normal threshold it is hard to hear to some.
One of my guys up here I called a expert with the Sovereign finaly tried a Explorer and now the Sovereign sits as he has seen he can do more with the Explorer, so that is what works the best for him, so that what he should use.
I went over a area with my Sovereign Elite 2 guys with the Explorer went over a week before as I seen plugs all over, but was able to pick out a few wheaties, a merc and a silver rosie they missed that was in a trashy area. I feel the reason was that that I could hear the threshold change as the tones changed where as the Explorer the threshold changed too fast and they never noticed it like I did with the Sovereign.
Like I say I like them both and both have their good and bad points, but it is what works better for a person is what they should use. For relic hunting I feel your Advantage will work good, but for coin hunting it didnt do much for me like the Sovereign or Explorer can do.
Rick

Also, as much as I use the explorer, it still reminds me of a plastic toy, it's not built to the standards the other minelab products are as far as durability, I love the machine, but its balance leaves little to like on a hard days hunt. You can't use it water hunting, it can't be hip or chest mounted, so salt water is out of the question. I hunt a lot in the little creeks and streams around my area epecially for relics. Once the shaft is in the water ya can't lift it as water will run into the housing (OOPS). The GT is much lighter with the machine on my chest. Also it is easier to use in the woods because of the chest mounting. That said, the explorer is a machine that can find some really deep coinage and relics, I won't give it up it just needs a makeover. another way to use a different but good tool.

Your points are well thought out.
I am curious though, with the Elite or GT even with the meter, does one have to dig all the clad in order to find the silver? Does one have to dig all the wheaties in order to find the silver? In other words, do the clad, wheaties and silver all sound basically the same?
One thing I absolutely do not like about the Explorer is it is a killer on my arm after several hours.
I wish I could pop the brain off the shaft and chest/hip mount it, take the battery back and chest/hip mount it too and just have the coil and pole all by themselves like the Advantage or Sov. hip mounted.

That is one thing you will have with the Sovereign as the copper, clad and silver will read the same. The new zinc pennies will read differnt though. The Explorer has the advantage there, but does it?? how many coins you dig and thought they were another copper penny and find out it is a silver coin with the Explorer?? I have plus some of my hunting buddies did too. This is why we dig all the coins like with the Sovereign we dig them all as no meter or tone ID is 100% correct.
With the Sovereign and the exprience with it we can get a idea of what we are digging before we dig it,but only about 65% of the time. What I mean is many signals we get and how the meter will react along with the tones we figure it is a silver coin or a copper one. If it is deep and read 180 we know chance are it is a wheatie or a silver coin. Now if we see the number lock on fast to 180 while going over it we feel that will be a silver coin. Now if it bounces around 179-180 it is a wheatie if it is a deeper and weaker signal. Now if we get a weak 176-177 we feel we have a IH or some of the older wheaties, if it is aloud signal than we feel it is a new zinc penny. If it is aloud 179-180 chance are it is a newer copper penny or a clad coin.
All little trick you learn with the Sovereign, but you wont notice untill you learned it well.
Rick