Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

best 9volt rechargeable batteries?

vanner

Im excited, my first Tesoro is on its way, the Golden umax, Now I just need to get some rechargeable batteries before it gets here. Ive read that the Imedion 9.6 volt , are really good, you guys are no doubt the experts on 9 vt batteries,, and how long on ave do you get out of good rechargeables. I would appreciate your recommendations. Cheers

PowerEx 9.6V hands down...All others only charge to 8.2V on the average...Most of the time I pull my PowerEx off the charger and read 9.8Volts, but it is really about 9.65V...They last a long time as well...Just get a good smart charger for them...Don't go cheap on the charger...Why spend good money on good batteries, just to destroy them with a cheap charger???

HH,

GoGoGopher said:
PowerEx 9.6V hands down...All others only charge to 8.2V on the average...Most of the time I pull my PowerEx off the charger and read 9.8Volts, but it is really about 9.65V...They last a long time as well...Just get a good smart charger for them...Don't go cheap on the charger...Why spend good money on good batteries, just to destroy them with a cheap charge

thanks.. thats what I was after

Imedion, yes they are amazing!

Fully charged I have gotten as much as 14, but it drops down quickly to 11, stays at 10 beeps for about 6-8 hours using the cleansweep. I guess different coils would drain the batteries at different rates.

To answer the over voltage question...There is/are a regulator/s in the machines that drag the 9.6V down to something lower...It would probably take 18-20V to fry these regulators...No worries with a few extra milivolts...

HH,

For AA get the Tenergy or Eneloops that are low discharge and a good charger. Batteries plus has them. You always know if they are low discharge if they come precharged. I have them in all my Tesoros and game callers.

Imedions are low discharge. I don't know if you can get 9v Ion Lithium rechargeables!

I should thank Tabman for a post of his that made me get Imedion, he really knows his batteries inside out.

That would be regular none rechargeable Alkaline batteries.

I have been recharging regular none rechargeables for a couple of years now. I bought a charger made by Rezap that is made to recharge disposable batteries and it works. Now they do not last as long as new batteries but it is a lot better than the trash can. Now know rechargeable batteries do not last as long as new disposable batteries and I am pretty sure I am getting as much run time as a rechargeable. I haven't bought a battery yet this summer for any of my detectors.

When a battery gets to the point it will no longer take a charge the charger will let you know it is time for the trash can. You can do the math on which is cheaper. It is a known fact that a detector regulates the voltage down from stated 9V, if it didn't you would only get a few minutes before you would need to change batteries.

Ron in WV

I don't know about all detector brands and types but I'm going to say that MOST of them that run on 9V batteries even two of them are actually running at 5 to 6 volts. So, the voltage (the available power) they're using out of a 9v battery is the voltage above the 5 to 6 volts. The electronics are regulated down to a lower voltage range.
The same is true for any battery operated device, if it runs on,
4 AA's (6 volts) then the device is regulated down to probably 3 to 4 volts.

I have some detectors that run on two 9v batteries so one has to think about that for a minute?? are they in parallel or series, meaning it could be set up for either 18 volts or 9 volts. What I've found is they are paralleled and they run on a regulated 5 to 6 volts. By using a paralleled battery circuit they get the lower voltage with double the capacity.

These built in regulators do have a limit of what they can handle but its pretty safe to say that will handle in range of 9 volt batteries on the market, other wise the battery manufactures would be liable for some pretty hing price electronic devices.

The modern electronics is getting really efficient in the area of power handle abilities, I have one detector that runs on one 9 Volt battery and it rated for up to 20 to 25 hours use, that's amazing!

For rechargeable batteries I'm switching over to ALL "LSD" (low self discharge) batteries. These batteries can be stored for up to a year and still retain about 80% of there charge. That means that an extra set could be used for backup replacement batteries! (get you back home batteries)
For my LSD double AA batteries I found a smart charger that also has a 12v adapter cable so it can be powered off any car or trucks 12volt electrical system.
I get my batteries and chargers from battery junction .com really great prices and fast shipping.

Mark

I use a Detector Pro Head Hunter Pulse with a 11 inch coil and it runs on 2 - 9 Volts hooked up in series (So about 18 volts)

I've been using HITECH Lithium Ion batteries and I bought 2 pair with a HITECH smart charger. (About $75 total w free shipping)

The batteries recharge to 8.24 volts and after about 3 hours of use they discharge to about 7.85 volts.

I swap them out then and recharge the used pair ( takes about 3 hours).

They are supposed to be good for about 500 recharges each.

I've been doing this for the past 6 months and I detect about 3 times a week on average.

So far I'm pretty happy about it. I figure I'm ahead now on battery costs versus disposables.