Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Best and/or Deepest finds with the 1270.

Hey all, sitting up here in the frozen tundra...wishing I could go detecting. I've been reading all I can about Fisher 1200 series detectors, the 1270 especially. I was curious, do any of you folks have any real deep or real awesome finds with the 1270? -Jay

Well down here in WV at least the areas we hunt, the good silver coins run around 5 to 7 inches so my brother Mark put out a test garden several years ago with the deepest coins at 8". Now down here we always go by in the ground not including the grass. So if we add the grass to the 8" that would make them about 10". The 1270 will hit these coins with ease and that is not scrubbing the ground, a normal hunting type swing.

We run most of our detectors over the garden and it kind of gives an idea what kind of hunting it would be best for. The 1270 is one of the strongest detectors that we have put over the test garden. I would say the F75 I had was pretty close to the 1270.

Now if we can get shooter going on this post I would say for sure he has had some memorable finds he could share.

Ron in WV

Awesome Ron, That's about the depth of the real old coins around here as well. If you have a machine that can hit 6-7 inch coins you're set. I had the Fisher F-70 and the Omega 8000 and while I did get a number of deep coins with the Omega, the VDI was so inaccurate on deeper coins I think it probably talked me out of digging a few keepers. I can't wait to see how many copper indian artifacts I can sniff out with the 1270 this year. Speaking of test gardens, I buried a dime recently at about 6 inches, my brother had just picked up a Whites Coinmaster Gt and wanted to try it out. He went over the dime...not a peep...nothing. I cranked up the CZ70 and not only hit it easily, I could lift the coil another 4-5 inches off the ground and still get it. Gotta love those old Fishers. -Jay

Don't be surprised if the dime disappears, I did the same thing a little over a year ago, I put a copper penny at 7" and my Tejon was the only one that would hit it. Then in a few weeks the Tejon wouldn't hit. After a year now I checked it again and it is just now starting to show up and now all the detectors are hitting on it a little. Marks test garden has been there several years and the coins are acting like natural buried coins.

Test gardens are great, but they take several years before they start acting like natural buried coins, at least that is our experience with them. Some say it is the hallow effect and I could go along with that on copper, but our silver here comes out of the ground just like the day it was dropped, no corrosion at all. So I am pretty sure it has something to do with disturbing the soil.

Ron in WV

I know it wasn't the most accurate of tests but it gives you a good idea of the capabilities of a machine. I'm sure it's something about disturbing the matrix of the soil. I know my brother never used the Coinmaster GT again after that test...lol I don't hold too much stock in air tests or freshly planted coin tests because the Coinstrike was terrible on both but I've found many DEEP coins with the Coinstrike, especially Indian Head pennies. -Jay

Most of my air testing is just to compare coils on the same machine for the most part. Some times we happen to have 2 of the same machines and one seems to produce a little less than the other, we will air test them as long as we do everything the same, like coil for coil, settings all the same and the same target. I like to use a clad dime most of the time because the way I look at that is if I can find a dime I can surely find a quarter. But when I think other folks may see I do both the quarter and the dime.

As for gold jewelry testing nobody can compare to anything unless they use the same test items I do. So the items I use are all my wife's jewelry except my ring, I keep all that stuff in a plastic bag in her jewelry box so I will always be using the same items. If you just get something close you are wasting your time.

Just a little interesting story, like I said I use my wedding ring for the man's gold ring test. So all is well for several years and all of a sudden I test it and can't hardly get it to read on any of my machines. What is going on here EMI got me or what. Well after close inspection of the ring it had broke at it the thinnest area, I had it fixed and it reads strong again. So I have an old silver ring that I found years ago that is broken in one spot. I got it out and tested it and I could get it to hit but not strong, so I just pushed it together and held it there and now it would hit real strong.

You probably know all that but we seem to have this forum all to our selves so what the heck.

Ron in WV

I've never tested jewelry as I strictly look for old coins. I mean if I find it great but I don't actively try for it. Speaking of that, last year I was hunting along a river near my house and I was using the CZ70. I got a strong signal under a tree in the relic zone and dug my first gold ring ever, an 18kt 6 gram wedding band. That;s odd how a ring being broken would produce such a drastic difference in signals. Maybe that split interrupts the receiving signal in some way. I hope folks continue to post here, I check every day and once I get the 1270 I'll post regularly stories and pictures of my finds. -Jay

Now I don't have a test garden, and I not a big fan of air test but they do have some good points, I go for actual finds with the depth you can measure. One farm come to mind about a mile from my house, it was built in 1827 and it was lived in till 1976 when the last owner died and left it the town, and its been hit real hard and not buy me, I finally worked when I got my F-75 LTD, being the depth was supposed to open up old worked out places, not knocking the F-75 but it only brought up 1 1853 Large Cent at 6"s,which didn't impress me much since these fields were all plow fields, no heavy iron only a few hob nails. After a while I decided to go back with my 1270 and my 10.5 coil, Primary search mode was Iron Disc.@ 9, Sen max, Secondary Mode Disc 4, Sen. MAX, using Sun-Ray Gold Pro headphones, I was getting a few relics, small horse buckles, after about an hour and a half bang IH 1888 @7"s, soil was a little damp so I thought that was pretty good. In the next 2 hours i pulled up 2 King George Coppers, 1 @ 9"s the other about 10' away @ 11"s, 1 was 1826 the other was 18??. I was in heaven. 2 days later in the same field, recovered 2 1796 New Jersey Copper Pennies again about 11"s. The 1270 is a deep seeking detector. I've found so many good coin and jewelry with the 1270 I brought it back as my #1 detector and the F-75 as second. It is a super stable machine, not like the erratic, unstable F75, there's a lot of places here in Northern NJ the F75 runs like crap.And the 1270 is unbelievably deep seeking in lake beaches and wet drained lake and river beds. This year alone between the 1270 and my old 555-D the little beach i've been doing has yielded a slue of gold ring and silver coins and jewelry where the F-75 was useless. You can search for Shooters posts to see the pic's. this is getting to be a book so I'll stop for now. Great machine......................

Shooter, that's what I like to hear about. Thank you for sharing this with me. What originally interested me in the 1270 was it seems like it has a ton of raw power. And according to your finds it appears I was correct. I don't think the classic Fishers get much respect any more, except from a small group. Everyone jumps on the bandwagon for every new machine that comes out with all the bells and whistles. I've done it myself a few times but have always came back to Classic Fishers. Hell, I've owned 3 Coinstrikes. I plan on keeping my CZ70 for the real trashy parks but use the 1270 in the woods where I detect 90% of the time. Soon as my taxes get here I'm buying the 1270. Can't wait. -Jay

Hi,
Searching with the 1270 in the woods near an abandoned factory outside of Berlin, I got a very strong signal and started digging.
At about 3 feet down I found what I was definitely not looking for.
We ceased digging immediately, marked the place with a t-shirt stuck on a branch poked into the ground, got the f*** out of the area and called the cops from a public phone.
Turned out to be a british air mine type H.C.4000, 9 feet long, 30 inches diameter filled with 1300kg explosives and a total weight of 4000 lb.
The Brits called then "block buster or cookie" back then.
It is estimated that there are still thousands of bombs still buried in Germany - just recently a backhoe operator was killed at a construction site while excavating a foundation not far from where I live when he hit one of these hidden "treasures" with the bucket of his hoe.
My hunting bud once found a piece of blown apart tank tread at least 4 feet down in a recent landslide with his 1266.
Actually it was 4 feet of near horizontal digging, which made things a little bit easier.
But it goes to show, that large metal objects can be detected at great depth even with hobby detectors.
hh
skookum

That's creepy. I don't think I'd have the nerve to detect after that. Here I thought that broken glass was a hazard while digging...lol -Jay

but I can attest to the depth the 1270 has it is a great classic machine just my fear is now with the new ones that are still out there had some issues that had to be sent back and first texas repaired and sometimes the results weren't that hot afterwards if you can get a los banos for sure that's the way to go but anyways its a good machine hits on gold stuff a lot better than one would think for a lower freq machine

amcjavelin said:
but I can attest to the depth the 1270 has it is a great classic machine just my fear is now with the new ones that are still out there had some issues that had to be sent back and first texas repaired and sometimes the results weren't that hot afterwards if you can get a los banos for sure that's the way to go but anyways its a good machine hits on gold stuff a lot better than one would think for a lower freq machine

One thing I know that happened on some of the repairs was something had happened to a component on the main circuit board that caused the detector to be overly sensitive, I mean it would air test out to huge distances but then in the real world hunting you had to just about turn the sensitivity all the way down to run it anywhere, it would false on anything, anywhere. When these were sent back to get the control housing mount kit installed they also fixed the circuit boards, when the owners got them back they weren't to happy about the 20" air test on a quarter it had but only 12" when they got it back.

From all the air testing my brother and I have done both our 1270's test out the same! I believe mine to be a Los Banos unit that has never been sent back yet (it doesn't have the control housing support kit installed)

Mark

MichiganJason said:
I've never tested jewelry as I strictly look for old coins. I mean if I find it great but I don't actively try for it. Speaking of that, last year I was hunting along a river near my house and I was using the CZ70. I got a strong signal under a tree in the relic zone and dug my first gold ring ever, an 18kt 6 gram wedding band. That;s odd how a ring being broken would produce such a drastic difference in signals. Maybe that split interrupts the receiving signal in some way. I hope folks continue to post here, I check every day and once I get the 1270 I'll post regularly stories and pictures of my finds. -Jay

I think you are right on about the split interrupts the signal. You can try this for your self on any detector I think and it doesn't need to be gold or silver, any kind of metal ring first read it on the detector and then cut it and read it again. Then if your item can be bent back together try it again.

Ron in WV

Is the 1270 still being made? I see some vendors selling new ones. How does it compare to a Tejon or Vaquero. I know it is heavier, but does it have fast recovery?

As for still making them I am pretty sure they are not, my guess is what we are seeing for sale as new is left over stock, once there gone there gone. I see one on ebay for $1,1?? and a few at normal new price.

Now recovery speed I never paid any attention and I don't recall seeing anything in the manual about that item. Now they all hunt a little different and I would say the 1270 seems to be a little faster. But I don't feel I could say much more than they are different machines. The Tejon reminds me more of the 1266x or the 1265x than any other machine I have used.

Ron in WV