Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Best coil for Cortes

THingfool

I have been away from detecting about 5 years and getting back into it. Wondering what would be best coil to use in parks and old house areas with the Cortes. Thank you.

I have a Deleon which is basically the same detector. I have the stock coil and 5.75 concentric. both do well. I use my stock coil a lot. I think it separates almost as good as the small coil. The small concentric is super light and well balanced.

The 8 inch doughnut coil without the coil cover is my choice. It's light, discriminates well, gets good depth, great separation and is easy to pinpoint with.

tabman

Lately, I've been having trouble just getting the coil covers to stay on my 5.75". They keep falling off. I've already replaced it twice.

CladDog said:
Lately, I've been having trouble just getting the coil covers to stay on my 5.75". They keep falling off. I've already replaced it twice.
Heat the coil cover up with a heat gun and ever so slightly tweak the edges in.

Dang said:
Why no coil cover Tabman? Isn't that against the rules?

The way the 8 inch doughnut coil is made it really doesn't need a coil cover. I usually hunt grassy areas anyway. Besides those covers for the doughnut coils are heavy.

The way the 9 x 8 coil is made it needs a coil cover, but it's cover is not as heavy as the cover for the doughnut coil.

tabman

Was going to ask that question myself. I have been reading back thru posts and thought the 5.75 concentric or 8" donut would be the preferred coils. I thank you all for the input.

Ed

IMHO, the more pertinent question here is "What is the best coil for what sort of conditions?" Heavy trash, ground coverage, target separation maximum depth etc.
BB

Smaller coils for heavy trash are your best bet. The 5.75 is hard to beat although I've had good luck with the 7" as an all around coil. I've used the 4" hocky puck, but you have to be really patient and persistent with it as it covers so little ground and its depth is limited. If conditions are really brutal and the chances for silver are good it's worth considering - I have made some decent finds with it. Usually you can figure a DD/widescan will work pretty well in trash for its size as the detecting pattern is narrower than a concentric.
BB

I don't hunt without a coil cover. I have worn out a coil without cover and believe me the cover is a lot cheaper to replace.