Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Best Coil for Sovreign in trash laden parks?

Just about any smaller coil will work .... Some will tell you bigger coils that have good seperation, but they STILL get in the way when there is a LOT of nearby trash ..... I wouldn't go any higher than an 8 inch coil , but I opt for a smaller coil yet in the parks that I frequent .....I use an S-5 Sunray for real trashy area's and move ever so slowly ...Jim

Thanks,

I have a Coil Tek Joey and it has found coins and seems to work fine with the Sunray meter, so I will stick with it for a while. I was just wondering if there are more effective coils.

I have the S-5 which is 5.5" in diameter and sure is small. In terms of left/right separation I don't feel the S-5 is any tighter than my 12x10, but of course the length of the SEF coil can get in the way some times. The Minelab 8" BBS and Tornado coils I think are either only 7 1/4" or 7 1/2" in diameter. My friend has the BBS version on his Excal 800, and in terms of size that thing doesn't really look any bigger than my S-5 by eye without them sitting side by side for comparison. It sure is a small coil, and I can see where some would opt for it over the S-5 or Excelerator 5" (I think this is a true 5" coil but am not sure). There is also something like a 8x6 or smaller Detech coil that was made over in the UK for a very short while. If I didn't have the S-5 and was looking for a smaller coil I'd probably opt for the Tornado 8" if indeed it's as small as the older BBS coil.

I have used the 8" BBS coil on my friend's Excal for some land hunting with it and it does go deep. In fact, this coil got me an 1835 bust dime and large cent in the same hole, but the thing is a boat anchor.

My choice would be the Minelab 800 either the Tornado or a newer BBS.I have used both these side by side in the field and a bench air test with Identical performance results.The early or older BBS coils had an extra wire on the center pin and I think a little thicker and heavier than the newer BBS 800.These very early BBS coils had poor performance and gave this little coil a bad rap.None better for my trashy parks great separation and depth.

So if the coil has an extra wire it is the very early BBS 800. I guess I need to find out the pin count on the newer model coils. Safest would be to buy the new Tornado 8" I suppose.

Ron from Michigan said:
My choice would be the Minelab 800 either the Tornado or a newer BBS.I have used both these side by side in the field and a bench air test with Identical performance results.The early or older BBS coils had an extra wire on the center pin and I think a little thicker and heavier than the newer BBS 800.These very early BBS coils had poor performance and gave this little coil a bad rap.None better for my trashy parks great separation and depth.

Otlew,watch for a 800 coil being sold that came off an Excalibur.The extra wire on the BBS 800 is an indicator but this won't help unless the connector is off and the wires are exposed.Used Tornado 800 coils can be hard to find,because they work well and people keep them.

Ron from Michigan said:

Hey Ron, some or all of the early ones had the grey cables, is that extra wire your speaking of in some of the black cabled ones also?

The biggest complaint on the older BBS coils (8" and 10") was their weight and balance. especially the 10". once I started hunting the tornado coils, aside from the better balance and lighter weight, I found them both to be a bit more sensitive to smaller items.
those older coils were really beefy, like minelab made them to take the most wicked beating on rocks and the like.
I still wish all coils had the mount for the lower rod in the middle of the coil for the best balance. that will make a heavier coil seem lighter than an actually lighter coil with the lower rod mount thats at the back of the coil.

For trashy parks, 8" and below in coil size for sure.

Neil,the Tornado 10 inch coil I found lighter ,more sensitive and a light more stable than the BBS 1000 coil.The BBS 800 coil with the extra wire was the weak performer.I 'm not sure the color of the cable though.I'm on my third good BBS 800 coil that the performance is on par with the smaller Tornado(extremely stable),but a little more weight.I think Rick said a shorter cord on the BBS 1000 coil helps,and agree I have noticed a shorter cord seems to quite down or make it more stable.

What about this coil Minelab Sovereign 8" Concentric Coil made by Detech?

Otlew,I used this coil a while back.Erratic, ID bounce and bad tones.Clue there is a reason Minelab uses a DD coils.LOL it falls under the law if its not broken don't fix it.Better yet a pigs ear taped on a silk purse.

Interesting, so the Sovereign and I assume the Excalibur also are not good candidates for the concentric coils. So it looks like the Tornado 8" or the Sun Ray S-5 Intruder are the two choices that are suited for the Sovereign.

Ron from Michigan said:
Otlew,I used this coil a while back.Erratic, ID bounce and bad tones.Clue there is a reason Minelab uses a DD coils.LOL it falls under the law if its not broken don't fix it.Better yet a pigs ear taped on a silk purse.

Yes the Sovereign and Excalibur will only work right with double DD coils and the DD coils made for there spects.Not all DD coils. You should not use a concentric coil on a sovereign or Excalibur .......

OK guys, thanks. I found none of this in the two books I purchased on the Sovereign. They are good for learning operation, but not the technical specs of hardware available.

keppy said:
Yes the Sovereign and Excalibur will only work right with double DD coils and the DD coils made for there spects.Not all DD coils. You should not use a concentric coil on a sovereign or Excalibur .......

What about this coil Minelab Sovereign 8" Concentric Coil made by Detech?[/quote]......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................... I saw a 8" detech concentric coil on ebay for the sovereign...... But all i ever used on my sovereign were double DD coils......I think somewere in this sovereign forum some one tells about the detech coils for the sovereign.

Just on the cover Ron, and there were not any maps to gold locations. Deceptive advertising, I say. :surprised:

Ron from Michigan said:
LOL the books probably had nice pictures of all the gold finds heaped up.

The Joey works well. I am not sorry I bought it, and I bought it at really good price. I guess the only other available coil would be the S-Ray S-5 Intruder DD, but they aren't giving those babies away.

keppy said:
To me that 5x10 Joey should do a good job for you....