Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Best coil to find small gold chain on the MXT ?

srf2112

I'm heading out later to search for a lost gold chain w/small links and I wanted to get some input on my coil choice. The necklace should be pretty shallow and I was contemplating whether to first use the 4x6, 5.3 or the 6x10. Yes, I will be bringing all three but I'd like to hear what others think the pro's and con's are between the three for this specific hunt. Supposedly it should be in a reasonably small area, maybe 3-400 sq.ft. Just curious to hear what others think. Thanks.

Only my opinion, but I would start with the Eclipse 6x10. It will cover more ground and is very sensitive to small gold, especially a necklace.

Thanks for the input. As (bad) luck would have it the green grasses were getting high so I went with the 5.3 to swing through the easiest. Two hour hunt and long story short the necklace was apparently already found . .but it was an incredible day out.

try another pass in a 90 degrees opposite direction, maybe it is still there

Thanks for the suggestion Topo. I hit it from both directions then expanded out and hit it again. I then put on the D2 and covered the more open areas to see if it had been out of reach of the smaller coil. 2-1/2 hours on approx. 3-400 sq. ft. The young lady is going to give me a call back as soon as the grasses dry and die then I'm going to go back and try again. I will be able to expand the search and cover a lot more area a lot more efficiently. When the grasses are down I'll also be able to swing a bigger coil and keep it on the ground. I'll let you know how it turns out . . .in about a month.

srf2112 said:
Thanks for the suggestion Topo. I hit it from both directions then expanded out and hit it again. I then put on the D2 and covered the more open areas to see if it had been out of reach of the smaller coil. 2-1/2 hours on approx. 3-400 sq. ft. The young lady is going to give me a call back as soon as the grasses dry and die then I'm going to go back and try again. I will be able to expand the search and cover a lot more area a lot more efficiently. When the grasses are down I'll also be able to swing a bigger coil and keep it on the ground. I'll let you know how it turns out . . .in about a month.

cool, give us news and I hope you find it

another tip is to try CJ mode if there is little trash, or relic+alt mode if you have a difficult ground

good luck

Been a long day...but on 9th you state necklace was already found...but on 10nth you state waiting for lady to call so you can try again???....sorry...maybe i missed something

Curt_in_W.Mass said:
Been a long day...but on 9th you state necklace was already found...but on 10nth you state waiting for lady to call so you can try again???....sorry...maybe i missed something
Sorry, that does sound somewhat contradictory. I'll clarify. I searched the exact area she is certain it was lost and out far enough to be certain I covered the area and then some. I'm 99% certain it is not there as I hunted it intensively and there was almost nothing else in the ground so I'm pretty certain. Therefore if it WAS lost where she thinks then it was apparently found. BUT I told her I"d come back again when the conditions will allow another more far ranging search even though the odds are very slim. I'm just doing it as a favor as it's only 10 min's from my house. I was just trying to cut to the point quickly in the previous post.

Hi, srf2112
I would not rule out the 9 1/2' coil if you have one.
Last Friday I found a .585 gold serpentine bracelet (1/32"wide x 7 1/4" long), down in the dirt about 3",
thru heavy matted winter kill grass with the MXT 9 1/2" stock coil.
I can't recall what the VDI #s were, but the MXT read it loud & clear with a good solid tone.
Anyway, good luck on your search.

HH,

Stan

Stanl said:
Hi, srf2112
I would not rule out the 9 1/2' coil if you have one.
Last Friday I found a .585 gold serpentine bracelet (1/32"wide x 7 1/4" long), down in the dirt about 3",
thru heavy matted winter kill grass with the MXT 9 1/2" stock coil.
I can't recall what the VDI #s were, but the MXT read it loud & clear with a good solid tone.
Anyway, good luck on your search.

HH,

Stan
Thanks for that Stan. I'll be bringing em all . .