Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Best Coil

gim

I just got my AT Pro this week and was wondering Which Coil is best for water hunting salt water, Lake and rivers. Which coil the stock coil or the 5x8 coil? Please give a reason why. Thanks for your help.:shrug:
LOST

That is a very subjective question

I prefer the 5x8 simply because
(1) being smaller it has less drag and I find it much easier to swing/control in any kind of surf or stream turbulance
(2) being smaller it is much better at getting to tighter areas and working in rocky places.
(3) I find it far less fatiguing over long hunting periods

If your in calm water perhaps the stock coil gets you a little more depth and wider coverage, just like on land. Having switched from stock to 5x8 I just find it more fun and have no desire to switch back.

I go for the biggest coil for fresh drops in both salt and fresh waters for all my detectors. The bigger the coil, the more area is covered and fresh drops should not be very deep both in the water and on the dry sand.
On the ATPro I use: NEL's BIG coil (15X17) for summer fresh water swim areas and the Super Sniper 4.5inch coil in rivers with rocky bottoms (my smallest ATPro coil).
My grandson (at age 10) used the 5X8 DD until he master the ATPro in both salt and fresh water. Now 13, he uses the standard 8.5X11 DD. Some day he might be able to swing the NEL BIG coil - I have to use the Minelab ProSwing-45. I do not own the ATPro other coils.
Winter hunting and outside the summer swimming areas...of salt water I use my ATX with the standard coil (10X12)...the only ATX coil I own. Or in the winter rocks an Infinium with an 8" concentric coil. I use an Excalibur in the salt water summer swim areas.
There is no one best detector/coil combination for all conditions/ locations. I really pick and choose for desired targets / conditions and location. I have used the ATPro in salt water and I have found gold, but it was just in my testing/getting to know the detector when I first bought it before handing it over to my grandson. He also has found gold and silver with it in salt water. BUT the ATPro is not a first or second choice to hunt the salt water in New England. Go mulit-frequency VLF or better yet a PI detector.

See this post lots about the coils...

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?79,2272002,2272460#msg-2272460