Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Best coils for target separation in trashy areas?

Hi all...

I have noticed that the Explorer doesn't have many 5"-6" coils available for them (I could be wrong tho). Therefore...

What is the best Explorer coil for trashy parks where separation is more useful than all out depth and area coverage? Currently, I am using both the stock 10.5" and 15" WOT on my Explorer II for the beach but will soon be going to older parks more often than not.

cheers...Keith

I got a 6'' Excelerator coil a few weeks ago from JW at Kellyco....and it will be on all month. Extremely stable threshold even running sens. at 28 and as deep as 10" up to now. I think you may want to talk to him.

To me, everything seems to be a trade off. Today I took out my new SE Pro coil to a park for the first time. The park is semi trashy but I noticed that the new coil was able to "lock on" to targets that I know were very close to trash. This made me happy. However I know that my 8 inch minelab coil could probably handle the "targets near trash" much easier. The trade off is the amount of square footage a coil can cover in in an alloted time. So the way I see it, the the hunting area has to be evaluated and then a decision has to be made. In a super trashy area I would choose my 8 inch coil, knowing that not as much territory can be covered in the time I have. In a less trashy area I would use my new Pro coil, hands down. Now, with that said, I also have a 15 inch WOT coil that I use exclusively on beaches. I bought it more for its coverage capability than its depth capability. Luckily, in Delaware, we are blessed with relatively clean beaches and low sand mineralization and the WOT is the weapon of choice. BTW, the WOT paid for itself and more on its first hunt (Platinum ring)!! The WOT is also a quarter vacuum. I think that if I had a choice of only being able to buy 1 coil, I would go with the new Pro coil but would also start dropping hints for XMAS and upcoming birthdays for the other coils.

I dug more 8" to 9" deep silver coins and injuns with the 6" excelerator coil last year than all other coils I have combined. If it wasn't for needing a larger ground coverage at some places...that coil would never come off my SE. You can run it absolutely hot and it won't false. I run it at 32 semi auto and it has no problem hitting deep coins. In fact an 8" deep silver coin directly beside...beneath...or on top of trash is absolutely common with that coil for me. My buddy has the 5" excelerator and he loves it too. I haven't used the sunray...so I can't say...but I have heard only good things about it too.