Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Best detector for Hawaiian islands?

glabelle

Heading for Hawaii soon. Do I take my e-trac, MXT, or PI dual field?

Is the sand there mineralized?

Thanks
George

Hey George,

I recall the beaches I visited in Hawaii to consist mainly of coral, very coarse, kind of like sesame seeds. Waikiki beach I believe is imported sugar sand, I hope this helps.

Good Hunting! Q

glabelle said:
Heading for Hawaii soon. Do I take my e-trac, MXT, or PI dual field?

Is the sand there mineralized?

Thanks
George

All that I've read and heard is that PIs are used the most due to volcanic rocks and such.
I can't say for sure but I think the dual field would be the best bet???

Thanks!

I believe i would take the MXT it handles the hot rocks in the west, i think it will do alright over there,

PM Hawaii MDer. He's friendly and that's his home turf. He's also tried lots of different machines.

I have used an MXT with good success on the beaches of Kauai and Oahu.:detecting: Surprising to some folks, my 1280X water machine has also found many good targets on dry sand and in the water. You see many White's PI machines along with some Minelab Excalibres in the water being used by locals.
You will find a few black sand beaches on the Big Island and Maui that are mineralized where a pi machine would come in handy
A few years ago in Waikiki, I ran into a guy they called Crazy George.:ranting: He was detecting at the other end of the same beach with a White's PI and decided that I shouldn't be on his beach. He just walked right over to me with his PI cranked way up and drove my MXT crazy. I just shut it off and stood there. He looked kinda ticked when he finally gave up and walked away.:biggrin:

I use a white's PI pro and a buddy in Maui uses both the dual field and PI pro. Both do very well, but there are a few draw backs. They are the lava rocks (hot rocks) with lots of iron and rubbish galore in the sand. Expect to dig a lot.

I would recommend you use your Dual Field in the water. And the MXT on the sand or Dual field on the Sand. I use both an Infinium and a excalibur 1 and 2 currently. I've also used Surf PI before. All the detectors i mentioned do very well where i go. If you are staying in Waikiki, i would recommend the Dual Field because it will go deep. There are many THer's out here and a PI will help you out tremendously in Waikiki. Although I've gotten some success on the sand, my best and most finds have always been in the water and i would recommend just detecting in the water. Also IMHO try detecting right in front of the Royal Hawaiian Hotel area. It has the most people per sqft Waikiki has, also the people staying there tend to be the more afluent kind of people if you know what i mean. Plan your detecting experience to be 90% water time and only 10% sand time if you want the chance to find anything good. Goodluck and HH.

Ken

HawaiiMDer said:
I would recommend you use your Dual Field in the water. And the MXT on the sand or Dual field on the Sand. I use both an Infinium and a excalibur 1 and 2 currently. I've also used Surf PI before. All the detectors i mentioned do very well where i go. If you are staying in Waikiki, i would recommend the Dual Field because it will go deep. There are many THer's out here and a PI will help you out tremendously in Waikiki. Although I've gotten some success on the sand, my best and most finds have always been in the water and i would recommend just detecting in the water. Also IMHO try detecting right in front of the Royal Hawaiian Hotel area. It has the most people per sqft Waikiki has, also the people staying there tend to be the more afluent kind of people if you know what i mean. Plan your detecting experience to be 90% water time and only 10% sand time if you want the chance to find anything good. Goodluck and HH.

Ken

Excellent advice all around. That end of the beach behind the major hotels has a lot of folks who wear a lot of bling even in rough water. HawaiianMDer, do you have any advice for a visit next March to the Kaanapali area on Maui? Have only stayed in the Kihei area in the past and detected the beaches from there down to Wailea. Mahalo.

Gord (Tecumseh) said:
HawaiiMDer said:

Ken

Excellent advice all around. That end of the beach behind the major hotels has a lot of folks who wear a lot of bling even in rough water. HawaiianMDer, do you have any advice for a visit next March to the Kaanapali area on Maui? Have only stayed in the Kihei area in the past and detected the beaches from there down to Wailea. Mahalo.

Unfortunately my brother, i don't have any info for the other Islands. My experience is only limited to Oahu. I'm pretty sure however there is at least 1 to 2 other forum members from Maui that could assist you. Mynah might be able to help you since he has a friend out in Maui that detects. Anyways, i hope you get the help you need.

Take care and Aloha,

Ken

All the Info giving above is great.
I'm sure it would work on any of the Islands.
Most of the beaches have excellent diggin conditions
for pi detecters. I use my daulfield in the wet.&
my m6 in the dry sand.
Those two compliment each other well on the beach.
so the Mtx/ dualfield combo sounds great
Just don't take them both out at the same time.
thats if you have to leave one in the car unattended.
Now if you have a partner with you one work the dry one work the wet.should be Fun.
Enjoy your trip!