Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Best find of the season!! 2011

:Left4Dead

I found a good sized ring this summer, well I found around 10 of them(only 1 gold). I thought that I had not found a gold ring until late this fall. The one I found was 10k and very small. So I was happy with it and thrilled that I found a gold ring even though it was small.

Fast forward to today, I got my gold test kit in the mail. So for fun I thought I would test the only other gold colored ring I found, I has a big clear stone, and the stone was cracked, and no markings at all. I thought it was costume jewelry. Boy I was wrong, it passed the 10k test, then the 14k test, and just barley failed the 18k test. So its at least 14k gold!!! But....what about gold plated or gold filled, hummm..... their was only one way to know. I got out my dremel and my super fine cut off disk and made a tiny cut where you would resize it normally, Its gold all the way through!! At its weight and being 14k at least its priced around 130.00 given the fact thats its only 58.3 % gold.

All I am going to say to everyone is be sure you know what you have!!! Ohh I have a diamond tester too, its not a diamond. :-(
IMAG0316.jpg

Hey Left, If its plated, it also won't test. Plating on a gold ring is sooo thin, its really unbelievable. One small drop of 24K gold can plate a Morgan dollar.

scubadetector said:
Hey Left, If its plated, it also won't test. Plating on a gold ring is sooo thin, its really unbelievable. One small drop of 24K gold can plate a Morgan dollar.

So if I test a gold plated ring it will not test? Because the gold is to thin.. thats good to know!

Thanks

Last week I went through my junk box , where I keep misc finds and discovered two of the kid sized rings were sterling.That got me looking at everything else and I have a couple of gold colored chain links from an ear ring that I want to test. Will jewelers usually do this ?

hatpin said:
Last week I went through my junk box , where I keep misc finds and discovered two of the kid sized rings were sterling.That got me looking at everything else and I have a couple of gold colored chain links from an ear ring that I want to test. Will jewelers usually do this ?

Most jewelers will because they may want to buy it from you. But you can go on eBay and find a gold,silver, plat,test acid kit plus stone and digital scale for around 20$. That's what I did now I can check myself, I also bought a diamond tester for arou d 15$ and it works.

Mike