Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Best Frequency For Cupro Nickel Coins,

My answer doesn't come from any scientific knowledge, but simply from digging the little dibbels for the last 19 years using different detectors, I would say 7 to 12. That response does not take into account all the variations which you have with different makes and engineered detectors and how each of those detectors co-relate to their coils. So I cannot say that any detector that has an operating frequency of 7 kHz will pick up a small cupro-nickel coin deeper than another detector operating at 14 kHz. Mineralisation of the soil being detected will also be a factor on how deep either of those frequencies will go.

Through digging lots and lots of pulltabs i have noticed i locate pulltabs deeper than cupro nickel coins. I have noticed cupro nickel coins give "crackly" signals even sometimes at just 3 inches on some sites.
Tried all 3 frequency's and seem to think 14 Khz might possibly have the edge on cupro nickel coins. i Dug some real crappy signals that i was convinced were going to be can slaw trash or similar but were cupro nickel coins... ...I think Anfibio might be a high conductor lover and maybe not as good on lower conductive coins...what do you think ?

CoinRobber:
What is the deepest frequency on Coins composed of Cupro Nickel?

For the moment, how about if we change 'deepest' to 'most-responsive', which could also describe a detector being 'hotter' or 'more-reactive' to a particular metal coin. To help even the playing field in doing comparisons, I'll consider your question as it relates to round-shaped solid objects, such as US Coins. Then the main differences are down to size (both diameter and thickness) and the conductivity of the metal make-up. By denomination the size will vary, but the US 5¢ piece, the one we call a 'Nickel', would be about mid-size between the commonly carried 'Dine' and 'Penny' and the larger-size 'Quarter.

But for this discussion, more on the interest gets down to the alloy make-up and conductivity, and the conductivity level of a modern Zinc Cent and very early Wheat-Back Cents are the lower-conductive of all the mentioned coins with a higher conductivity level. They are followed by the Copper Cent and Clad Dime,, then the higher-reading or more conductive Quarter. The US Nickel, differs from the other coins because it is a Cupro-Nickel coin of 75% Copper and 25% Nickel.

Remember, the operating Frequency is only a part of the several factors involved it target detection and audio processing. There is also search coil size, search coil type, and signal processing such as the effects of various sweep speed, audio saturation or audio modulation, the use of VCO enhancement, audio Tone or Pitch, etc. and we can't forget the associated ground mineral content and how the detector is ground balanced and how it handles and processes the ground signal.

But if we set all that aside and concentrate only on the Operating Frequency, then here is my take based on personal experience:

After we made most of the trendy change to using VLF (Very Low Frequency of 1 kHz to 30 kHz) detectors in the mid-to late '70s, most were operating from about 1.5 kHz to 6.6 kHz, and then by '77/'78 several were at about 15 kHz. I have always tested detectors and used what worked best for me and the applications at hand, and as a Detector Dealer I quickly noted that the 15 kHz model was 'hotter' or 'more responsive' to US 5¢ coins as well as other lower-conductive targets, such as gold jewelry, than were the other main model at 5.5 kHz, or the competitor's offerings in the 4+ kHz to 6'6 kHz frequency range. I started using 15 kHz detector, or those that were relatively close, rather then the lower-frequency devices for all-purpose general detecting.

• I did see the edge to many of the lower-frequency models and their responsiveness to the higher-conductive coins, such as copper or silver, but that was in those earlier days of detector development. I always liked a 'happy medium' for a more 'universal frequency' for all-around general-purpose detecting. By '81, I was also using a 50 kHz LF frequency model and a few others that came along, and in different site challenges I noted their strengths and weaknesses. Remember, too, that was in the 'analog era' and detectors worked without so much operator-induced behavior.

In '83, I started using a different brand that mainly operated at 12 kHz, and in following years have owned and used detectors in the 6.6 to 7.8 kHz range, some in the 18 to 20 kHz range, but have especially enjoyed grabbing a unit in the 10 kHz to 15 kHz range because they worked well across a broad range of common coins and good silver and gold jewelry. I had discovered that most, not all but most detectors in the 10 to 15 kHz range were just universally very good performers on all types of coins ... but why?

• One of the more noted metal detector engineers in the '70s to '90s was George Payne. I brought us Ground Balance about '74, then motion-based Discrimination in '78, visual Target ID in '83 followed by Tone ID, and then did a nice write-up in the '90s about why he chose the frequency he used in his Treasure Baron design. he described the frequencies that were best associated with most of the common coin metals used, and for handling ground mineral and other factors, and the frequency just happened to be very efficient on the US Cupro-Nickel 5¢ piece. The frequency he chose? 12.5 kHz. For me that said a lot and explained why I had the good general-purpose performance I enjoyed with the bulk of the detectors I used, because the 10 to 15 kHz range was only 2.5 kHz either side of that magic formula 12.5 kHz.

But, as I've mentioned, most of the detectors we used to use were analog circuitry and today's model marvels are mainly digitally designed circuitry and we have quite a few detectors available to use that provide us an option of Frequency Selection. My most impressive general-purpose performing detector in my Nokta FORS CoRe that operates at 15 kHz. For my Relic Hunting in dense Iron nails and a lot of other ferrous debris, I grab my 19 kHz FORS Relic because it isn't drastically out of the versatile frequency range, but that slightly higher model gives me an 'edge' in handling ferrous challenges AND being responsive to coin, tokens, buttons and other desirables located in that debris.

I could use a Selectable Frequency model at a lower 5 kHz or opt for a different detector with a comparable lower frequency, but I only do so when I am NOT working in an iron-infested site, and also mainly when searching a more open area especially for higher-conductive targets such as copper or silver coins. Otherwise, I have best enjoyed using my 15 kHz CoRe, a 14 kHz Racer 2, or any of the three selectable -frequency models and mainly relying on their default 14 kHz operating frequency.

I was showing a fellow some detector performance the other day when asked about how well they could find the lower-conductive 5¢ piece and gold rings. With an assortment of coins on the ground, including a Nickel, and a couple of 10K and 14K gold rings, I grabbed one detector from my wall to demonstrate how well it performs in general, on copper and clad and silver, but is especially impressive on the Nickel and gold rings. That one detector? The new Simplex+ which operates at 12 kHz. A very good general-purpose Operating Frequency that shows well on the Cupro-Nickel coin and other lower-conductive targets.

So, I usually rely on a detector in the 10 kHz to 15 kHz range if I wanted to have an advantage if Coin & Jewelry Hunting when it came to finding Nickels and gold jewelry and other targets in their conductivity range.

Monte

CoinRobber:
What is the deepest frequency on Coins composed of Cupro Nickel?

For the moment, how about if we change 'deepest' to 'most-responsive', which could also describe a detector being 'hotter' or 'more-reactive' to a particular metal coin. To help even the playing field in doing comparisons, I'll consider your question as it relates to round-shaped solid objects, such as US Coins. Then the main differences are down to size (both diameter and thickness) and the conductivity of the metal make-up. By denomination the size will vary, but the US 5¢ piece, the one we call a 'Nickel', would be about mid-size between the commonly carried 'Dine' and 'Penny' and the larger-size 'Quarter.

But for this discussion, more on the interest gets down to the alloy make-up and conductivity, and the conductivity level of a modern Zinc Cent and very early Wheat-Back Cents are the lower-conductive of all the mentioned coins with a higher conductivity level. They are followed by the Copper Cent and Clad Dime,, then the higher-reading or more conductive Quarter. The US Nickel, differs from the other coins because it is a Cupro-Nickel coin of 75% Copper and 25% Nickel.

Remember, the operating Frequency is only a part of the several factors involved it target detection and audio processing. There is also search coil size, search coil type, and signal processing such as the effects of various sweep speed, audio saturation or audio modulation, the use of VCO enhancement, audio Tone or Pitch, etc. and we can't forget the associated ground mineral content and how the detector is ground balanced and how it handles and processes the ground signal.

But if we set all that aside and concentrate only on the Operating Frequency, then here is my take based on personal experience:

After we made most of the trendy change to using VLF (Very Low Frequency of 1 kHz to 30 kHz) detectors in the mid-to late '70s, most were operating from about 1.5 kHz to 6.6 kHz, and then by '77/'78 several were at about 15 kHz. I have always tested detectors and used what worked best for me and the applications at hand, and as a Detector Dealer I quickly noted that the 15 kHz model was 'hotter' or 'more responsive' to US 5¢ coins as well as other lower-conductive targets, such as gold jewelry, than were the other main model at 5.5 kHz, or the competitor's offerings in the 4+ kHz to 6'6 kHz frequency range. I started using 15 kHz detector, or those that were relatively close, rather then the lower-frequency devices for all-purpose general detecting.

• I did see the edge to many of the lower-frequency models and their responsiveness to the higher-conductive coins, such as copper or silver, but that was in those earlier days of detector development. I always liked a 'happy medium' for a more 'universal frequency' for all-around general-purpose detecting. By '81, I was also using a 50 kHz LF frequency model and a few others that came along, and in different site challenges I noted their strengths and weaknesses. Remember, too, that was in the 'analog era' and detectors worked without so much operator-induced behavior.

In '83, I started using a different brand that mainly operated at 12 kHz, and in following years have owned and used detectors in the 6.6 to 7.8 kHz range, some in the 18 to 20 kHz range, but have especially enjoyed grabbing a unit in the 10 kHz to 15 kHz range because they worked well across a broad range of common coins and good silver and gold jewelry. I had discovered that most, not all but most detectors in the 10 to 15 kHz range were just universally very good performers on all types of coins ... but why?

• One of the more noted metal detector engineers in the '70s to '90s was George Payne. I brought us Ground Balance about '74, then motion-based Discrimination in '78, visual Target ID in '83 followed by Tone ID, and then did a nice write-up in the '90s about why he chose the frequency he used in his Treasure Baron design. he described the frequencies that were best associated with most of the common coin metals used, and for handling ground mineral and other factors, and the frequency just happened to be very efficient on the US Cupro-Nickel 5¢ piece. The frequency he chose? 12.5 kHz. For me that said a lot and explained why I had the good general-purpose performance I enjoyed with the bulk of the detectors I used, because the 10 to 15 kHz range was only 2.5 kHz either side of that magic formula 12.5 kHz.

But, as I've mentioned, most of the detectors we used to use were analog circuitry and today's model marvels are mainly digitally designed circuitry and we have quite a few detectors available to use that provide us an option of Frequency Selection. My most impressive general-purpose performing detector in my Nokta FORS CoRe that operates at 15 kHz. For my Relic Hunting in dense Iron nails and a lot of other ferrous debris, I grab my 19 kHz FORS Relic because it isn't drastically out of the versatile frequency range, but that slightly higher model gives me an 'edge' in handling ferrous challenges AND being responsive to coin, tokens, buttons and other desirables located in that debris.

I could use a Selectable Frequency model at a lower 5 kHz or opt for a different detector with a comparable lower frequency, but I only do so when I am NOT working in an iron-infested site, and also mainly when searching a more open area especially for higher-conductive targets such as copper or silver coins. Otherwise, I have best enjoyed using my 15 kHz CoRe, a 14 kHz Racer 2, or any of the three selectable -frequency models and mainly relying on their default 14 kHz operating frequency.

I was showing a fellow some detector performance the other day when asked about how well they could find the lower-conductive 5¢ piece and gold rings. With an assortment of coins on the ground, including a Nickel, and a couple of 10K and 14K gold rings, I grabbed one detector from my wall to demonstrate how well it performs in general, on copper and clad and silver, but is especially impressive on the Nickel and gold rings. That one detector? The new Simplex+ which operates at 12 kHz. A very good general-purpose Operating Frequency that shows well on the Cupro-Nickel coin and other lower-conductive targets.

So, I usually rely on a detector in the 10 kHz to 15 kHz range if I wanted to have an advantage if Coin & Jewelry Hunting when it came to finding Nickels and gold jewelry and other targets in their conductivity range.

Monte
Great Post Monte. nice one..

Then your coins would be similar to ours (Australia) but your soil conditions quite different. There is a huge choice of detectors available to you, and if you are buying your first detector, talking to someone in the hobby or joining a club would be a good way to start your research for a machine. Frequency is only one of a long list of factors to consider and learn eg. sweep speed is important to master and optimal depth could rely on adapting your sweep speed to suit the ground conditions etc. Good luck.

Then your coins would be similar to ours (Australia) but your soil conditions quite different. There is a huge choice of detectors available to you, and if you are buying your first detector, talking to someone in the hobby or joining a club would be a good way to start your research for a machine. Frequency is only one of a long list of factors to consider and learn eg. sweep speed is important to master and optimal depth could rely on adapting your sweep speed to suit the ground conditions etc. Good luck.
ok

I am using the Anfibio on trashy sites with a program called "Cupro Nickel Striker" . By Gary Goldman. I have recovered tons of 10p 20p 50p Coins.
The site is a fairground / sports field. The cupro nickel coins can sound good or bad depending if the coin is covered in oxide , the oxide seems to reduce the lovely clean sounds of the Cupro nickel coins. The nice shiny clean ones sound off better in tests i have done...More consistent numbers too with the shiny coins......

CoinRobber":
I am using the Anfibio on trashy sites with a program called "Cupro Nickel Striker" . By Gary Goldman. I have recovered tons of 10p 20p 50p Coins.

I can't be the only one wondering:
• Which Anfibio Model?
• What Anfibio coil are you using?
• What operating frequency and settings are used in the "Cupro-Nickel Striker" program?
• Where are you located to find 10-p, 20-, and 50p coins?
• What is the4 alloy mix of all those coins?

Monte

CoinRobber":

I can't be the only one wondering:
• Which Anfibio Model?
• What Anfibio coil are you using?
• What operating frequency and settings are used in the "Cupro-Nickel Striker" program?
• Where are you located to find 10-p, 20-, and 50p coins?
• What is the4 alloy mix of all those coins?

Monte
I will post the program here tomorrow if i have the time monte. Model Anfibio Multi.
Coil 9 inch Concentric.
14 Khz Freq.
Uk.
A cupro nickel coin consists mostly of copper and nickel, with iron and manganese added to harden the coin to wear.

CoinRobber:
I will post the program here tomorrow if i have the time monte. Model Anfibio Multi.
Coil 9 inch Concentric.
14 Khz Freq.
Uk.
A cupro nickel coin consists mostly of copper and nickel, with iron and manganese added to harden the coin to wear.

'Thank You.' The 5¢ piece, that we call a 'Nickel' here in the USA, is our only current cupro-nickel coil. The Anfibio-Multi gave me very good performance on all of our common USA coins as well as most of those that, fir us, are 'older' or 'early-era' coins. My preferred general-purpose search coil on the Anfibio on down to the Racer 2 had been their round 7" Concentric, and that helps provide more consistent performance than the Double-D designed coils. Had to take a break to go online and check out the composition of your more modern coins. I am sure the program settings will be 'interesting,' although I'd guess they are not what I would be using, especially if you are having audio target response issues like you mentioned.

Monte

CoinRobber:
Coil 9 inch Concentric.
14 Khz Freq.
Uk.

'Thank You.' The 5¢ piece, that we call a 'Nickel' here in the USA, is our only current cupro-nickel coil. The Anfibio-Multi gave me very good performance on all of our common USA coins as well as most of those that, fir us, are 'older' or 'early-era' coins. My preferred general-purpose search coil on the Anfibio on down to the Racer 2 had been their round 7" Concentric, and that helps provide more consistent performance than the Double-D designed coils. Had to take a break to go online and check out the composition of your more modern coins. I am sure the program settings will be 'interesting,' although I'd guess they are not what I would be using, especially if you are having audio target response issues like you mentioned.

Monte
The programs settings on Goldmans "Cupro Nickel Striker" are used in the 3 tone mode. With modified tone breaks , modified tones, and tone volumes.
we are tone breaking Z1 AT 28 , Z 2 IS Broken at 43 but i will post the full program tonight hopefully. The program has the benefits of Enhancing Cupro Coin range signals
but higher conductive Silver Rings and Pound Coins can be heard coming through in the back ground. Trash is reduced by about 90%.

Use 4 tones and segregate your nickel tone range into a high tone range along with a silver range high tone range so your nickel and silver range stand out. A US nickel falls in 28-30 range, I set first break at 28, the second at 31 ,the third at 77 for the silver range but your silver range may differ as well. Using 4 tones allows you to designate a high tone audio response to the nickel and silver ranges but not to the iron or mid range area. Does this make sense?Sometimes it is easier to do than to explain.

Last edited: