Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

BEST HEADPHONES FOR MXT PRO

joe dirt_1

Looking for headphones that sound good on the MXT PRO. I have a pair of Killer B's II headphones but don't
care for the high pitched sound they reproduce. Sunray Pro Gold headphones sounded the same to me, plus the ear pads were getting small holes in them after only about 4 hours use....and of course warranty didn't cover them. I'm not sure if lower or higher than 150 ohms makes a difference in the sound or not.
Would prefer something that had a little bass to the sound that would sound more what the detector really sounds like. Any ideas would be appreciated.........HH.

Roger

I have the White's Pro-Star and I wouldn't describe their sound as tinny or high pitched. They seem to give me the whole range of sounds that the MXT produces though I don't really have a basis for comparison. Mine have over 40 hours on them and are holding up well so far.

In general, the higher the resistance of a speaker, the less current it takes to drive it, so a smaller, higher resistance speaker should be able to reproduce the low end with less current demand than a larger, lower resistance speaker. You might lose the low end if you overdrive (exceed the output current capacity) of the MXT's output amplifier. :nerd:

That having been said, a smaller, higher resistance speaker will not produce the same loudness that a larger lower resistance one will so you have to put it closer to produce the same apparent loudness. For example, ear buds will have a higher resistance than cup style earphones and go in the ear instead of just near it. By the same token, speakers for your surround sound have an even lower resistance but they can fill a room.

-pete

Pete, Thanks for the explanation, and I will check out the Pro Star headphones. I may also contact Skiwhiz,
the resident headphone guru, and see if he could build me a set that would work for me. Thanks again for the
help.

Roger

joe dirt_1 said:
Pete, Thanks for the explanation, and I will check out the Pro Star headphones. I may also contact Skiwhiz,
the resident headphone guru, and see if he could build me a set that would work for me. Thanks again for the
help.

Roger

Hey Roger, let a few others here weigh in on this too - they are bound to have some worthwhile suggestions besides mine. :super:

-pete

I have a pair of Grey Ghost NDT's and Bushmasters and both sound great. I tried a pair of Killer B's and they were too tight on my head and had a bumblebee kind of resonance I didn't really like.

Fletch88, That's another problem with the Killer B's, they put the squeeze on my head to the point I have to take them off and give my ears a break. I'm going to give my Killer B's a chance since I just got the MXT PRO and
haven't had a chance to take it hunting yet. I didn't care for the sound of them on my Vaquero or Tejon or CZ'S,
so I doubt the MXT PRO will be any different. Thanks and HH.........

Roger

I love my killer b's. Had them since at least late 2007.
Rugged little thungs. Only complaint is that some times I hit the switch on the side and get no sound.
But that isn't a real complaint. I will agree they were a bit tight for a long time. But they broke in GREAT.

Call me crazy but I've got a set of Killer B Hornet's, a set of Rattlers and a set of Koss UR-30's and I like the sound of the UR-30's best. I like the fit of the Hornet's but the UR-30's have a richer sound in my opinion.

Comfort will they are on my head and on top of a baseball cap is important to me.

the pro stars are great! I had killer B's and had nothing but problems with them.i sent mine in soo many times.it ultimately cost me more in shipping and shipping them back than what i actually paid for em.$7.95 shipping each way.They make you include a money order to ship them back to you.finally I said enough.I had a friend who works on electronics take em apart.he was in shock how cheaply made they were.he couldn't even solder the wires .thin as a human hair.

I believe that HeavyMetalNut. Sad but true. I'll stick by my old trusted SunRay Pro Gold phones. Ralph cares how they're made and stands behind his equipment unlike others. Thanks for the heads up!

joe dirt_1 said:
Looking for headphones that sound good on the MXT PRO. I have a pair of Killer B's II headphones but don't
care for the high pitched sound they reproduce. Sunray Pro Gold headphones sounded the same to me, plus the ear pads were getting small holes in them after only about 4 hours use....and of course warranty didn't cover them. I'm not sure if lower or higher than 150 ohms makes a difference in the sound or not.
Would prefer something that had a little bass to the sound that would sound more what the detector really sounds like. Any ideas would be appreciated.........HH.

Roger

If you go to Phones with more Bass you will miss Targets, I tried the Koss ones and they were useless, So I went back to My grey Ghost UDT's and Nugget Busters UDTs, But Now I am using the Whites Pro Stars, They are the same as the GG/NB's just Black in Color and the Price is Good Too, with A Life Time Warranty,

Good Luck.