Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Best Headphones for Xterra?

Deese

What is the best headphones for xterra? this is my first minelab,I have a nice set of yamaha phones that sound terrible on it,i have some cheap no name brand that sound alot better,but the high tone in 3 tones sounds like it has a buzz in the background,the mid and low tones sound great.I have heard a little about 30ohm phones or something? Can someone clarify? and make recomendations.

I have tested Jolly Roger and Grey Ghost,non of them fit my hearing.I now use the KOSS UR-30 and they have great sound and are comfortable,though a little bit loose fit.
KOSS UR30 dont have volumecontrol.Maybe one thing to consider.Also the KOSS have 100 Ohm.

But using this headphones during sommer months,no way...then I will pick up the KOSS PortaPro with excellent sound.

I have heard of that koss phone being used on minelab,I think i will do a google search and see what comes up.

I have always used just cheap Radio Shack $20 around the back of the head headphones, I never really tried much else and I do fine with them. I like the around the back of the dead design so that I can wear a hat if I want. These things get beat, snagged on branches, pulled off of my head, you name it, and they last for years. Sure you can used big ones over the top of the head with a hat, but my hat is always catching on things and would rip the phones off my head. I don't think that I would like the bigger clunky phones, nor do I feel the need to spend a wad of cash on RAT phones and the likes. There is a volume control on the Xterra, so that isn't really an issue either. The big padded phones would be OK for winter but I would think would be hot in the summer. I also hunt quite frequently as a group and the small ones make it easier to talk to others.

I'm open for discussion on this and quite frankly would like to know what you thing the advantage would be. I'm not beyond finding out that I'm wrong on this.

I have tried the high end Gray Ghost Headphones and found the target separation very poor compared to my Garrett Headphones (about $30 on the Garrett or Kellyco sites). I have heard good things about the Koss UR30's and will give them a try if my Garrett's die.

I too have used a variety of headphones with the various detectors I have had good success with them.
However I have read that it is best to keep the volume at max on detectors ( if they have volume control ) and adjust the volume control on the headphones for the best results on deep targets.
I have not paid too much attention to this in the past, but I am now rethinking that this may be important when searching for deep targets.
I have a Sovereign GT and have been using headphones with no volume control, but the Sovereign has a volume control so I figured this setup was OK.
I recently bought some headphones that have volume control on them and now having the volume set at max and adjusting the headphones really makes a difference in hearing targets that are deep.
Although I have not done a lot of testing, I did find 4 deep coins last weekend that gave loud signals that would have given very faint signals with the previous headphones and setup I was using.
I was surprised at how loud they were compared to hearing these types of signals before.
I'm not saying that you are going to miss deep targets by adjusting the volume control on the detector to a comfortable level, but It could happen if you are not paying close attention, and personally, I don't want to take that chance.
As far as searching for shallow targets, any headphone will be suitable.
I have even just used the external speaker on hot summer days and did great!
Currently, I am using the Koss UR-30 headphones with my X-Terra 50 which do not have volume control,but I keep the volume control on the detector set pretty high to make sure I don't miss any deep goodies.
Maybe some others will give their opinions on this,
Felix

I went wireless with the now discontinued Auvio 2.4gHz headphones (NOT the earbuds or behind the head style), and won't go back.
The sound quality is as good as any others that I've tried, and not being wired to the machine is well worth the effort of tracking down a set or two.

Some Radio Shack stores still have them, and are closing them out cheap. There is also someone selling them on this site in the classifieds. Do a search for "Auvio" there and they will come up.

Have always used my Killer Bee's on my Tesoros and Fishers. Just got a Xterra 70 from a buddy and have found some nice civil war finds. On the Tesoro and Fisher units, the signal has always been crisp and a definite signal. On this unit I find that the signal isn't as strong...even at shallower depths till it is within 4-5 inches of the coil then I get a sharp signal. Now the signal is there and repeating at 6-10 inches...just a more pro-longed signal. Is this normal? I have other headphones and my buddies use different headphones. Think I will ask everyone before the next meeting to bring their headphones and see which one performs best. :) The Killer Bees aren't cheap...but they ARE well built, have a lifetime warranty, adjustable volume and a 90 deg jack.

I have been playing around with the xterra trying different phones,what I have found is that I can hear that background buzz on the 700hz tone on the speaker as well so I suppose its just the audio signal and no headphone will make it sound better.Like I said the 450hz tone is clean as a whistle,so what I am going to do is hunt in one tone which uses the 450hz tone only.

Probably should have just put a new post with my question above about in-line volume control. Would appreciate all thoughts at the new post.

Killer Bee's on my 705 are excellent! The 90 degree plug is perfect as it keeps the coil from extending out and catching on tools or clothes. Also, coil stays soft in cold weather. Fit great, hears every subtle break in the thresh-hold. Also works great on my Tesoro detectors and Whites MXT.

I prefer the black widows they are LOUD you can clearly hear the faintest of signals.

I also have the Black Widows and really like them.

I use these: http://www.kellycodetectors.com/accessories/index.php?model=960-4010126 They are very good.
Regards
Michael Larsen, Denmark

I am using the Newest Jolly Rogers and they are good but I wish they were louder.
Do the Black Widows have a volume control L&R ? Any particular model?

Yes they do. They are louder and more sensitive but I think that is do to way they fit. Mine are snug on my head and it takes a little time getting use to that. I can use them right up to the waves edge on lake Michigam an have no problem with outside noises bothering me. So if someone wanted to sneak up to you they could and you wouldn't heare them so be safe and go with a pardner.
Doug