Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Best tick repellent?

MXTerer

I use to use a product called REPEL but can't find it locally anymore. Anyone know of a good repellant for ticks, or should I mail order REPEL?

I try to avoid areas where the ticks are. Then I give myself a visual every ten minutes or so. I do a major check when I get home. So far none for me this season but I have been pulling them off my dog. I understand you guys are talking about repellent and I am interested to hear what people are using. Good question. Good luck and HH. Matt

Everyone has to be careful in the bush, a 49 year old man died from one tick bite 2 weeks ago, so take all the precautions one can take and be safe, tigerhank68

The Deep Woods Off (I think)...It's the stuff in the green can with woods or leaves on it. Then again, that might be Repel Deep Woods...? Either way, the regular Off doesn't work that great in my experience. The stuff in the tall green can does. You can't miss it. It's got a rich green color with I think a forest or something all around the can.

Yes, Deep Woods Off does the trick. I keep a can in both doors of the truck so I see the green can as a reminder to spray before I head out. I spray my hat to keep the gnats away, boots and pants. I try not to spray on my skin. Also, don't think the tics are just in the woods, they hang out in the short grass too.

Walmart used to carry the Repel Permanone that you applied to your clothing and ticks would die on contact, and you didn't have to rub it all over you. Lasted for six washings. Dick's carries the same product, made by Sawyers. But the cheap way to go is to buy Permanone at a feed store. They sell a product to put on horses for ticks. It's the same Permanone, only concentrated. For about $20 you get a court. One half ounce of the product with a quart of water makes the same product as Repel or Permanone, so you get 64 quarts for $20. Can't beat it. It works better than anything I've ever seen. I've hunted in the worst areas and never come home with a tick.

Some people are tick magnets...I'm one of em...I once had 17 of the things dug into me on my back and neck after an hour hike. They will also find me in the house and attack or be crawling around on me. Skeeters love me too...its the dangdest thing. I just sort of deal with it as the season comes along. When West Nile virus was killing people up here from the skeeters, and my brother got Lyme disease from a tick, it made me a little uncomfortable. But hey, a fellow cant stay inside forever, so I just took my chances and dodged a couple of bullets using off the shelf OFF. I did send a tick in to have it checked, since it left a wierd red welt on me, but it was negative. You are not supposed to use any chemical to remove them, and try not to squeeze them when you are pulling them off, you dont want whats in them inside of you...just sort of flip them over on their back and scrape them gently until you can get a grip on them near their head and then pull.
Skeeters like the shade, deer flys like the sun, ticks the grass, or edges of trails in the sun. little monsters all trying to get a free meal off the man!
Mud

If you can find it, insect spray with 100% Deet. If you get a tick on you, spray the tick, soon it will release it's grip on your skin.

And a Tick Spoon
http://www.tickedoff.com/
addon.php

I'm a land surveyor, so I spend a fair time in the boondocks.

Permanone, hands down. Spray up your clothes with it.

DEET is not very effective for ticks, better for mosquitoes.

Permanone actually kills the little buggers, which is hard to argue with as a result. It doesn't smell bad either, or melt plastic pencils. I avoid DEET whenever I can; I don't think it's as harmless as it's regarded.