Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Best value for least $$ (under $150)- What should I buy?

Idaho-Marke

Garmin looks most interesting to me for the find the person feature that shows where the person is to others. This sounds like a valuable feature to me. What are your thoughts?

I'm planning to hike the mountains around me with my MXT and want to be able to mark spots I want to return to. Radio communication is also helpful.

What else do I need that I don't know I need? Which units do you suggest?

Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

Hmm, the only type that reports positions of others are the Garmin Rino GPS receivers and they are a bit more than $150. Considering that you mentioned mountains, the 1 Watt is not adequate for that function... the strongest ones are 5 Watt and these are much more than $150...
Another thing to keep in mind is; Just one of these does not do the trick. The other person also needs to have a Rino receiver.
Also; even the best of Rinos are using the older GPS receiver chips. They may be adequate for most uses but, in mountainous terrain, expect to loose position lock from time to time.
http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/us/onthetrail/rinoseries

The rino loosing satellite reception in the woods and if you get one TAKE plenty of Batteries. I sold mine and got the 60CSX and LOVE it. I even got satellite positioning while sitting in my living room.
PS
For the money spent on the rino 530 you can get the 60CSX AND buy a set of walkie talkies(16 mile range) like I did and you both have a radio.
Just my experience and opinion.
JOE in MD