Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Best water scoop

itaska71

What is the best water scoop
Is there a break down model, ( screw together, detachable ) for easier traveling ?

Very subjective topic. People have their favorite scoops.
For most of my beach work, I like the Stealth Scoops 720I hybrid with the carbon fiber handle; although I bought mine before the company was sold and moved production off shore. For flying (once or twice a year for a week at farther away beaches), I pack a RTG (Reilly's Treasured Gold) RTGBBtv6 travel scoop. It fits easily in a large suitcase and is fairly light; although it does let smaller targets through the holes. The RTGBBtv6 scoop is aluminum and does not have a stainless steel lip on it. If it were my main use scoop, I probably would have worn the end of the scoop out a couple of times over. One of the ones with a stainless steel tip might be a better choice for one that is used a lot.

Very subjective topic. People have their favorite scoops.
For most of my beach work, I like the Stealth Scoops 720I hybrid with the carbon fiber handle; although I bought mine before the company was sold and moved production off shore. For flying (once or twice a year for a week at farther away beaches), I pack a RTG (Reilly's Treasured Gold) RTGBBtv6 travel scoop. It fits easily in a large suitcase and is fairly light; although it does let smaller targets through the holes. The RTGBBtv6 scoop is aluminum and does not have a stainless steel lip on it. If it were my main use scoop, I probably would have worn the end of the scoop out a couple of times over. One of the ones with a stainless steel tip might be a better choice for one that is used a lot.
Thanks. Very good information. Now that you mentioned it, what is the best way to fly with detectors and a scoop ? Does anyone make some kind of hard case that will work ?

Thanks. Very good information. Now that you mentioned it, what is the best way to fly with detectors and a scoop ? Does anyone make some kind of hard case that will work ?
Don't know if it is the best, but it has been working for me for several years. I have a 29 inch suitcase (soft side, not hard case) that gets the scoop in first. water boots and pouch get put in the scoop opening. Two detectors get packed. Coils in first so they sit pretty flat, then detectors. Cloths are used for padding surrounding the detectors on all sides. I also take a short list of tools in a zip lock. 6 inch slip lock pliers and screw driver for scoop handle retaining screw, selected allen wrenches to fit fasteners on the detectors, chargers, small piece of zipper wax for the boot zippers and that is about it. I keep the bag total weight around 45 to 46 pounds and normally add a pound or three with finds for the trip home. Goal for me is to keep bag weight at or under 50 pounds. Wife packs a little bit smaller bag with more cloths, sun screen, bathroom essentials and a paperback book or two. If we go over 50 lbs with the bigger bag, we move some of the beach finds to the smaller one until the big one doesn't get an overweight charge.

Over about 15 years we are on our third 29 inch suitcase. They get beat up in the baggage handling and suitcase throw competition. So far, the detectors have survived.

Don't know if it is the best, but it has been working for me for several years. I have a 29 inch suitcase (soft side, not hard case) that gets the scoop in first. water boots and pouch get put in the scoop opening. Two detectors get packed. Coils in first so they sit pretty flat, then detectors. Cloths are used for padding surrounding the detectors on all sides. I also take a short list of tools in a zip lock. 6 inch slip lock pliers and screw driver for scoop handle retaining screw, selected allen wrenches to fit fasteners on the detectors, chargers, small piece of zipper wax for the boot zippers and that is about it. I keep the bag total weight around 45 to 46 pounds and normally add a pound or three with finds for the trip home. Goal for me is to keep bag weight at or under 50 pounds. Wife packs a little bit smaller bag with more cloths, sun screen, bathroom essentials and a paperback book or two. If we go over 50 lbs with the bigger bag, we move some of the beach finds to the smaller one until the big one doesn't get an overweight charge.

Over about 15 years we are on our third 29 inch suitcase. They get beat up in the baggage handling and suitcase throw competition. So far, the detectors have survived.
Thank you. Do you know what brand that suitcase is.? 29 inch dosen't seem very standard to me.
Thanks

Thank you. Do you know what brand that suitcase is.? 29 inch dosen't seem very standard to me.
Thanks
No idea what brand. We get what is on sale. Went to look at it ... tag on it says "Travel Select". It is an expandable bag. When we drive, the bag is expanded and we fill it with stuff. Detectors, fully assembled, get set on top of everything in the car or van. Flying, the expandable part is zippered to the smallest size. We have had three similar suitcases and I'd bet none were the same brand. We are about ready to go for number four. On the trip home two weeks ago the bag got pretty beat up and the outside zippered pocket on the small bag got ripped nearly off ... although the small bag is much older. The smaller bag says "Protocol".

Do a search on 29 inch suitcase and a lot of things turn up. The actual sizes returned with the search seem to run from 25 inch to 31 inch and there are several at 29 inch.

No idea what brand. We get what is on sale. Went to look at it ... tag on it says "Travel Select". It is an expandable bag. When we drive, the bag is expanded and we fill it with stuff. Detectors, fully assembled, get set on top of everything in the car or van. Flying, the expandable part is zippered to the smallest size. We have had three similar suitcases and I'd bet none were the same brand. We are about ready to go for number four. On the trip home two weeks ago the bag got pretty beat up and the outside zippered pocket on the small bag got ripped nearly off ... although the small bag is much older. The smaller bag says "Protocol".

Do a search on 29 inch suitcase and a lot of things turn up. The actual sizes returned with the search seem to run from 25 inch to 31 inch and there are several at 29 inch.
Your right, ton of stuff out there and lots of reviews saying it all gets beat up on airplane.
Thanks again

Reactions: tvr
I was lucky enough to buy an Xtreme Ti X3 on Sunday before they sold out. Ir's being shipped today. I think they do have stainless steel models available. I ordered mine with a travel handle.

What is the best water scoop
Is there a break down model, ( screw together, detachable ) for easier traveling ?
Just understand that breakdown/travel scoops will not last as long simply because of their design. …It has more areas too break from the stress they go through……been there done that!